VMware Communities
s0lution123
Contributor
Contributor

AirPlay can't connect to device for sound mirroring when Fusion is running

Hello,

on my Macbook Pro I can't connect to any AirPlay devices for sound mirroring output when Fusion is running. Is this a known issue? AirPlay is trying to connect for a while and ends up with a message saying that it can't connect to the target device. If I start Fusion after the AirPlay connection is successfully established, AirPlay will continue to work. If I switch the sound output back to internal speakers and try to connect the AirPlay device it will fail again.

macOs Monterey 2.2.1
Fusion 12.2.3

69 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

You know, I hadn't been using Fusion much until 13, but you're absolutely right. Having it running prevents airplay from connecting to devices. Quitting Fusion let's it connect again.

0 Kudos
frtoledo
Contributor
Contributor

I just tried Fusion 13 Player. The same issue persists. Both on a Intel iMac, and a M1 Macbook pro.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

I have seen this issue as well.

I have complimentary support still due to my purchase of an upgrade to Fusion 13 Pro. I will open a case with VMware on it this week.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Well ain't this a kick in the head...

Just was trying to make sure I could reproduce this, and Airplay (at least for Music from my iPhone) is now working for me on my M1 Mac. Fusion 13/macOS Ventura 13.0.1

I don't seem to be able to reproduce this now.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
frtoledo
Contributor
Contributor

I see the issue playing music from the Mac music app to a homepod. When Fusion is running (don't need to fire up a VM), music can't play from the Mac music app to a homepod.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

It's really strange. I thought it was just my appletv acting up, but after a couple of pokes in the thread, I tried and confirmed it. The networking stack must hook something that interferes with it.

At least I can stop rebooting my appleTV's now.

0 Kudos
PH-NL
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@Technogeezer: If I understand you correctly, you are saying that while using Fusion, you can still airplay from iPhone to an Airplay capable device.

But probably on the Mac that runs Fusion, you cannot run Apple Music application and Airplay to an Airplay speaker, Apple TV or other Airplay capable device. I have 3 mac mini's (all 2018) and 2 laptops (2020) all running Monterey and they exhibit the same issue.

Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Aha. I have now reproduced it. It looks like trying to outbound from the Mac with AirPlay will trigger the issue.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, indeed. "outbound" AirPlay seems to be broken from the Mac.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
PH-NL
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have (again) pointed VMWARE support to this thread. Hope they have a look and understand it is not just me experiencing this issue.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

FYI I have just opened a service request on this issue as well, and referenced this thread.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
PH-NL
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you very much. I expect that will motivate VMWARE to give this issue some priority. For the benefit of all ! 🤗

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Some more information:

If you activate fusion after music is playing, it continues to play, so it points to something blocking the discovery process.  You can even pause and restart it for a while.  But if it has to rediscover the remote devices (there appears to be some timeout), that's what doesn't work.

0 Kudos
frtoledo
Contributor
Contributor

Latest update for Fusion 12 (12.2.5) seems to have fixed the issue.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Didn't make it forward to 13 then...sigh

0 Kudos
PH-NL
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@frtoledo: this is not my experience. There has been no communication from VMWARE that the issue is solved, there is nothing in the release notes and I have cleaned and installed VMWARE Fusion 12.2.5 twice with reboots etc and the issue remains 100%:

- remove Fusion, clean up folders in Library, empty bin, etc. 
- install VMWARE Fusion 12.2.5 (13dec)
- Launch VMWARE Fusion (no need to run a host)
- Launch Apple Music and attempt to connect to AirPlay receiver 
- Error : Could not connect to "Airplay"
- Reboot and try again, same problem
- Close Apple Music and VMWARE Fusion
- Start Music, play music, connects to Airplay and ... Music
- Try everything again, same issue

Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

I have a support request open on this issue. VMware reports as of yesterday that there is no update on the case. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
frtoledo
Contributor
Contributor

You are right. It worked for a while after I installed the update, but now airplay is broken again when fusion is running.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

13.0.1 does not fix this 😞

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

I received the following update on this on Jan 30...

As per the last update, the concerned team was able to recreate and isolate the cause of the issue.

We are just waiting for final confirmation on the fix which is yet to announced.
We will surely keep you informed once the fix is available.

Given this, it's not surprising that it didn't make 13.0.1. At the rate VMware is putting out updates,  it's going to be another few months' wait. That is, of course unless a zero-day security vulnerability is discovered - they seem to be able to put out updates quickly when that occurs.

I'm not holding my breath on it, though - just like I'm not holding my breath for a full Tools on Win 11 ARM 64.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos