VMware Communities
MarkHolbrook
Contributor
Contributor

Audio clicks/pops/jumps...

Hi All,

I've traced this problem to Fusion. I'm running version 2.0.2. I run basically WinXP virtual machines that I use for development. I am on a MacPro with dual 2.88 processors (quad core each). I have 10gb of RAM and the OS is very current and kept up to date.

I also use this machine for a home hobby of making music using Apple's Logic software, in addition I have an iTunes library on the machine and usually while working I'll have a play list going.

I have noticed that when Fusion is running and a VM is alive that I get pops, clicks and jumps in the audio playback regardless of the source (iTunes, Logic etc). At first I figured this was due to the VMs having "sound enabled". So I went to each VM, disabled sound. My VMs now say "Not connected" under sound. Yet the problem persists.

Most of the time I can simply quit Fusion when I'm desiring to do sound based things but I thought this issue was important enough to be brought to light since it does seem to effect playback of iTunes and almost any audio source within the Mac.

I've run some very careful tests. I've rebooted, run music, started Fusion, run music, etc many different variations and have found that whenever Fusion is alive and running one of my WinXP VMs the clicks, pops, jumps start. They are random in nature and sometimes not present for many seconds then three or four in a row will happen.

Recently I was recording some guitar into Logic and had left Fusion alive with two VMs running but minimized and as I recorded the pops, clicks and jumps began to get worse and worse as I went further into the guitar.

Anyway the problem has a work around which is to shutdown Fusion when doing music however I think it is a problem that should be fixed. Personally I like to be able to listen to music while I work and the jumps, clicks, pops get annoying.

This also may be a problem with multi-processor machines. I have not noticed the problem on my MacBookPro. But I use the MacPro at the office 90% of the time.

0 Kudos
0 Replies