VMware Communities
topias
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Bluetooth dongle not working.

Hi.

I have an Epox BT-DG03 Bluetooth USB Dongle that works fine with OS X. However, I'm unable to make my Windows XP SP2 VMware image use it. Windows does not have any bluetooth radios in device manager. There's not even a "unknown device". Windows just completely ignores the dongle. I also tried to install the drivers for the device (http://bluetooth.epox.com.tw/htm/driver.htm, included WIDCOMM stack), but that did not help either.

Any ideas?

PS. Otherwise VMware fusion rocks. Unity is the way to go!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VM's created in older versions of Workstation do not have USB 2.0 support (I believe that VM's created with Workstation 6.0 do have USB 2.0 support). Fusion can upgrade a VM for you. You can select "Upgrade Virtual Machine" from the Virtual Machine menu (while the VM is turned off). This should enable USB 2.0 support. Please not that if you make this change the VM will only work on Fusion and on Workstation 6.0.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You need to connect the dongle to the virtual machine. In the lower right corner of the window there should be a bunch of icons, some black (disconnected) and some glowing blue (connected). Mouse over them until you find your dongle, then click and choose connect. Alternately, you can find the device under Virtual Machine > USB.

topias
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OK. I did not have an icon for USB devices. I created a new virtual machine and reinstalled Windows and now it works as you described. The non working image was originally created in Linux, I'm guessing that's why USB didn't work.

Thanks for your input.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VM's created in older versions of Workstation do not have USB 2.0 support (I believe that VM's created with Workstation 6.0 do have USB 2.0 support). Fusion can upgrade a VM for you. You can select "Upgrade Virtual Machine" from the Virtual Machine menu (while the VM is turned off). This should enable USB 2.0 support. Please not that if you make this change the VM will only work on Fusion and on Workstation 6.0.

0 Kudos
topias
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ah, OK. Figuring out that one would have saved me some trouble.

0 Kudos