VMware Communities
Yang_Guizi
Contributor
Contributor

Did VMware Tools install in 64-bit Kubuntu 8.10?

Hello, Savvy Friends,

I just created a new virtual machine from scratch, by using the Linux Easy Install with a 64-bit Kubuntu 8.10 installation iso image. Details of my host and guest configurations are shown at the bottom of this message, in this color.

I suspect that the Linux Easy Install did not complete installing VMware Tools. When I click Virtual Machine on the Fusion menu bar, the second item shown on the drop-down list is Cancel VMware Tools Installation.

How can I tell for sure whether VMware Tools was installed or not?

In the past, I was able to install VMware Tools manually with the tar installer in another Linux VM. But my Linux command-line and GUI skills are weak -- I'm a Linux newbie -- and this time I was not able to mount the VMware Tools install image on one of the virtual cd-rom drives. Would you please tell me where in Kubuntu's file structure Linux Easy Install dropped the VMware Tools install image?

With thanks in advance,

Yang Guizi 洋鬼子

Host: MacBook Pro, 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 Gb ram Host OS: Mac OS X 10.5.6 "Leopard" VMware Fusion 2.0.4 Guest: 2 virtual processors, 1024 Mb ram, 20 Gb scsi hd, 2 cd/dvd drives, NAT & bridged network adapters Guest OS: 64-bit Kubuntu 8.10.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
dabbler
Contributor
Contributor

A couple of thoughts:

Look for vmware-config-tools.pl in /usr/bin.

Look in System Monitor for vmware processes.

It's possible that the install image was put in /tmp - don't know for sure.

akbhargava
Contributor
Contributor

In Kubuntu, check the "CD drive', the VMware Tools installation "disk" should be in there. Open it up and extract the compressed file (using file-roller) to some sub-directory in your home directory. cd to that directory and run the .pl installation file.

Good luck!

0 Kudos