VMware Communities
femtonitpicker
Contributor
Contributor

Error Message Installing Converter on my PC

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help. I am trying to migrate and use PC data and applications onto a new iMac - I bought VMWare Fusion for this purpose. Part of the setup process is to download and install VMWare Converter on my PC. I have downloaded the .exe file on my PC. Whan I double click to begin the installation process, I get the following error message from (presumably) Windows XP: "Error reading setup initialization file". Please help!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Did you verify the MD5 checksum against the published one?

If you're have problems using Converter then use the vCenter Converter Community for help with that VMware product.

0 Kudos
femtonitpicker
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply, but I'm not sure what you mean. How do I verify the MD5 checksum against the published one?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Go back to where you downloaded the file and the MD5 checksum is shown right next to the link you clicked on to download the file and there is also a link on that page on how to check the MD5 checksum.

0 Kudos
femtonitpicker
Contributor
Contributor

I can see what you are talking about. As far as checking the MD5 checksum, the directions imply that you check this on a Mac (It talks about using the 'Finder'). Should I be downloading this application on my Mac and not my PC? This might seem a silly question, but the directions seem to indicate that I need to download the converter on my PC. Thanks again for any help, as well as patience.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Again... If you're have problems using Converter then use the vCenter Converter Community for help with that VMware product.

It really doesn't matter what computer and or OS the file is downloaded to however in your particular case since your trying to convert a Windows PC then it can be downloaded directly to that computer however nonetheless you need to validate that the file you downloaded is a good file and that it what MD5 and or SHA1 checksums are about. That is something that should always be done first after the download completes because just because whatever client one uses to download something may have said the download was successful that is not always true hence why checksums are published to validate against. Once you're sure you're working with a valid file then further troubleshooting can be done but there is no sense in going any farther until the file is checked. Also there are tools for checking MD5 and or SHA1 checksums under Windows however you'll have to acquire one and on a Mac under OS X they're there or built-in.

Once you know the file is good then use the vCenter Converter Community for help with that VMware product and you may be asked to collect the install logs for analysis and gathering that information can be found in that forum.

0 Kudos
femtonitpicker
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Sorry for the late reply, and again, thanks for your help. Your solution worked! The checksum was not correct due to memory issues with my PC. Once I straightened them out, everything worked well. Thanks again.

0 Kudos