VMware Communities
Marjean
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Errors, VMWare Tools

I am in Event Viewer in Windows XP, and in 2 days, there are many VMWare Tools warnings and errors.  What is going on?

34 Replies
rhidegLS
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I had similar issues after Fusion 5->6 upgrade. Since the upgrade I could not use the clipboard between the OSX and the Windows XP guest (this is a must have feature for me).

This was in my event log (sorry for the Hungarian Windows version):

Hibás alkalmazás: vmtoolsd.exe, verzió: 9.6.0.26048, hibás modul: msvcr90.dll, verzió: 9.0.30729.6161, memóriacím: 0x0006ccd5.

I uninstalled two things from my VM:

-Samsung Kies

-Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.6161

Now the problem is solved. Probably it will help somebody.

0 Kudos
sohoant
Contributor
Contributor

I don't know why VMWARE didn't answer to this problem. For me, it's a blocking one.

I tried to uninstall "Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.6161" but i still have the problem.

Hope that VMWARE will consider this BIG bug

0 Kudos
avanish321
Expert
Expert

If you are experiencing a crash for VMware Tools ( VMware Tools core services crash - msvcr90.dll ) , try the following

Go to Virtual Machine settings > Default Applications

Uncheck  the option "Open Mac files and web links using windows applications" .

Close the settings and restart Virtual Machine

Cheers! Avanish
0 Kudos
sohoant
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your help but i still have the bug :

[critical] [vmusr:Glib-GObject] file ..\..\..\gobject\gsignal.c: line 3062: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

The other error that i have after is, i suppose, link with the first one :

"Impossible de créer l'objet Stratégie de groupe par défaut. Erreur 80070005 d'ouverture de l'objet Stratégie de groupe Stratégie de récupération EFS du domaine dans le domaine LDAP://DC=*****,DC=local."

If you have another solution to try, i'm yours.

0 Kudos
coafark
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have the same issue since upgrading Workstation to 10.0.1 build-1379776

Event Type: Error
Event Source: VMware Tools
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1000
Date:  1/6/2014
Time:  2:04:55 PM
User:  NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: AAB000C29DD092D
Description:
[critical] [vmsvc:Glib-GObject] file ..\..\..\gobject\gsignal.c: line 3062: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

============

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: VMware Tools
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1000
Date:  1/6/2014
Time:  2:04:55 PM
User:  NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: AAB000C29DD092D
Description:
[ warning] [vmsvc:Glib-GObject] invalid (NULL) pointer instance

0 Kudos
mbze430
Contributor
Contributor

I have the exact error message, mentioned above, in the Event Manager for Windows 8.1 Enterprise running on Fusion 6.0.2

TBone19852
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue here as well.  Does VMWare support not check these posts?  Just let us know you now about the issue and are working on it.  That'd be helpful.  :smileyconfused:

0 Kudos
kelwell
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 6.0.2 running on MAC OSX 10.8.5. I am having the same issues on some VM's. For now i am just removing the VMware Tools. I really need the ability to copy/paste into and from my VM's.

Hoping for a fix soon!

0 Kudos
adrinux
Contributor
Contributor

Also having this problem on OSX 10.9.1 and Fusion Professional Version 6.0.2 (1398658) host. The errors were in the syslog of an Ubuntu 12.04.3 guest:

Jan 17 11:15:42 ubuntu vmsvc[1643]: [ warning] [GLib-GObject] invalid (NULL) pointer instance

Jan 17 11:15:42 ubuntu vmsvc[1643]: [critical] [GLib-GObject] g_signal_emit_by_name: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

I noticed in another post someone suggested changing the virtual cd/dvd from SATA to IDE interface helped, so trying that now - came up fine on the first reboot, and several after. Who knows if that's just luck or a real fix?! Time will tell.

0 Kudos
TBone19852
Contributor
Contributor

adrinux wrote:

Also having this problem on OSX 10.9.1 and Fusion Professional Version 6.0.2 (1398658) host. The errors were in the syslog of an Ubuntu 12.04.3 guest:

Jan 17 11:15:42 ubuntu vmsvc[1643]: [ warning] [GLib-GObject] invalid (NULL) pointer instance

Jan 17 11:15:42 ubuntu vmsvc[1643]: [critical] [GLib-GObject] g_signal_emit_by_name: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

I noticed in another post someone suggested changing the virtual cd/dvd from SATA to IDE interface helped, so trying that now - came up fine on the first reboot, and several after. Who knows if that's just luck or a real fix?! Time will tell.

I tried just removing them altogether and rebooted.  Still crashing.

0 Kudos
adrinux
Contributor
Contributor

Still working here. Restarted the vm several times with no issues. Also noticed I have the cd/dvd set to 'off' in the settings – which makes the suggestion that this had anything to do with it all the weirder. I'm very sceptical that it's actually worked permanently...

0 Kudos
adrinux
Contributor
Contributor

And it seems the errors still appear in syslog every boot...so no fix.

But it does seemed to have corrected the problem I was having - vagrant constantly getting stuck on 'waiting for boot to finish'. I guess my problem is not related to these errors.

0 Kudos
TBone19852
Contributor
Contributor

adrinux wrote:

And it seems the errors still appear in syslog every boot...so no fix.

But it does seemed to have corrected the problem I was having - vagrant constantly getting stuck on 'waiting for boot to finish'. I guess my problem is not related to these errors.

My biggest issue is that I can't run the Windows apps in the Mac directly.  Not that it's a huge deal, but I'm having to open the VM and run the Apps from there.  I'm slowly learning to live with it.

0 Kudos
alexandremercie
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I'm having the same issue:

• Fusion: 6.0.2
  • Host: MacOS X 10.9.2
  • Guest: Debian 7.4
    • VMware tools 9.6.1.27366 (build-1378637)
    • VM's hw version is 4
    • VMware software version 6 (good)

In guest OS, /var/log/user.log contains the error messages below:

Mar  9 17:05:14 debian-desktop vmusr[4061]: [ warning] [GLib-GObject] invalid (NULL) pointer instance

Mar  9 17:05:14 debian-desktop vmusr[4061]: [critical] [GLib-GObject] g_signal_emit_by_name: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

Mar  9 17:05:14 debian-desktop vmusr[4061]: [ warning] [Gtk] gtk_disable_setlocale() must be called before gtk_init()

Mar  9 17:14:24 debian-desktop mpt-statusd: detected non-optimal RAID status

Mar  9 17:24:24 debian-desktop mpt-statusd: detected non-optimal RAID status

0 Kudos
TBone19852
Contributor
Contributor

Latest update that came out in April resolved my issues!!!!!!!

0 Kudos