VMware Communities
ricky1
Contributor
Contributor

FAT32

I cannot seem to install xp on fusion with a FAT32 file system.

is there a workaround please?

ricky1

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mac_pro_user
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is there a particular reason you want to install XP using FAT32?

Or do you mean that you are using a FAT32 formatted disk to create a new HD based VM? This cannot be done since the file size limit for FAT32 is 2GB. The file used by Fusion, although it starts small (assuming that you are using an expanding disk) will grow very quickly as you install the OS and any programs.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Or do you mean that you are using a FAT32 formatted disk to create a new HD based VM? This cannot be done since the file size limit for FAT32 is 2GB.

Actually, this is exactly the point of the "split disk" option (selectable when you create a new virtual machine) - it splits the virtual disk into files, with no file being larger than 2 GB.

0 Kudos
ricky1
Contributor
Contributor

I want to install xp on a FAT32 file system. If its not possible I will partition on my hard drive and do it that way.

ricky1

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I want to install xp on a FAT32 file system.

If you want help, you need to give more information. .

Specifically, what is the problem/symptoms you're seeing? I just checked, and was able to start an installation of XP on a FAT32-formatted virtual disk. I quit because I didn't want to bother running the entire install, but it should work.

0 Kudos
ricky1
Contributor
Contributor

every time i boot up xp it does not give the option the run FAT32 , this I now know is my faul as i make one large partition 20gb and xp installs.

I think what I should do is make not one big partition(ie 20 gigs that is formated and then xp intalls) but seperate(SPLIT) ones as it was said before that 2gb is the max size is this correct? I would like to know where to look for the FAT32 optiion if such an option exits.

ricky1

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

every time i boot up xp it does not give the option the run FAT32 , this I now know is my faul as i make one large partition 20gb and xp installs.

I think what I should do is make not one big partition(ie 20 gigs that is formated and then xp intalls) but seperate(SPLIT) ones as it was said before that 2gb is the max size is this correct? I would like to know where to look for the FAT32 optiion if such an option exits.

First of all choosing a flat disk of 20 GB or a split disk 10, 2 GB segments has absolutely nothing what-so-ever to do with installing Windows XP using a FAT32 File System!

Second if your using Windows Easy Install then you have no choice of File System and the File System used in Windows Easy Install is NTFS!

If you what to use FAT32 File System on an Windows XP install you have to do a manual install and choose to format the disk FAT32 or pre-format the disk using another method prior to installing XP and then choosing to leave the current file system during the install.

FWIW Look at it this way... Creating the Virtual Machine is part one of the process and installing the Guest OS is part two of the process and part one has no bering on what file system you use however if you create a virtual hard disk over 32 GB then you will have to use an alternate method to format the drive FAT32 as XP during the Setup can not format a volume larger then 32 GB. Under 32 GB you can format the volume FAT32 during a manual install of Windows XP.

Do you understand it now?

0 Kudos