VMware Communities
marcelofares
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Firewire Port

Hello everyone,

Just a doubt.
I have an iMac with VM Fusion Professional Version 5.0.1 (825449).
I wonder if the VM Fusion recognizes the Firewire ports of my Mac because I am looking to buy a card with this audio interface.
Sorry my english Smiley Happy
Best Regards,
Marcelo Fares
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

As I understand it, you are referring to external Firewire disk, not a Firewire audio interface, correct?

Yes that's a Block Device.

I think it is not possible to connect this Firewire audio interface on my Fusion Smiley Happy

Correct, it is not possible and why I originally said "No, VMware Fusion does not see or recognize the Host's FireWire Port and cannot directly connect it to a Virtual Machine". Smiley Wink

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No, VMware Fusion does not see or recognize the Host's FireWire Port and cannot directly connect it to a Virtual Machine however if you attach a Block Storage Device to the FireWire Port you can access it via the VMware Shared Folders feature or a Share done at the Host OS level.

0 Kudos
marcelofares
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply friend.
But how can I attach a storage device block?
Sorry, I'm a layman Smiley Happy
Thanks for your attention!
0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

But how can I attach a storage device block?
Sorry, I'm a layman Smiley Happy

In the the twenty-first century "Sorry, I'm a layman" reallty isn't a valid excuse with the available resources like Google and or Wikipedia! Smiley Wink

A Block Device in this context is an External FireWire Drive that once attached to the Host can be accessed via a VMware Shared Folder or sharing it via System Preferences in OS X.  The Guest OS will see it as a Network Share and with VMware Shared Folders will default to the Z: Drive for the first share and increment backwards for subsequent shares.  If accessing it via a SMB/CIFS Share set at the Host OS Level you can map it to whatever drive letter you like that's available.

0 Kudos
marcelofares
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

As I understand it, you are referring to external Firewire disk, not a Firewire audio interface, correct?
I think it is not possible to connect this Firewire audio interface on my Fusion Smiley Happy
Thanks for the tips!
0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes that's a Block Device.

Correct, it is not possible and why I originally said "No, VMware Fusion does not see or recognize the Host's FireWire Port and cannot directly connect it to a Virtual Machine". Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
marcelofares
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Perfect my friend.
Thank you Smiley Happy
0 Kudos