VMware Communities
neanelu
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 2.0.2 faster than 2.0.1 but still slower than 1.1.3

I was very happy when I saw that new release was available.

I use an early 2008 MBP with 2.4 GHz, 6 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600 M GT.

The latest release of Nemetschek Allplan 2008 is running slower than previous release, Allplan 2006, but with Fusion 1.1.3 it is quite acceptable with 2 GB dedicated to Fusion. When I say slower I mean that using pan and 2D regeneration of the screen is slow. In 3D it works great.

With Fusion 2.0 and 2.0.1 was horrible using this 2D/3D CAD software so I downgraded to 1.1.3.

I hoped that with this new release of fusion pan and 2D regen will be smoother. My first impression was that problem was solved, but using Allplan for one hour and so, it started to behave like previous 2 releases.

Any ideas or any changes for better 2D support in VM?

3D is enabled, 1 virtual processor, running in fullscreen on second 21" monitor.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I agree with your subject line in that I've found 2.0.2 to be faster then 2.0.0 but still to slow when compared to Fusion 1.1.1 which I'll continue to use for now.

0 Kudos
neanelu
Contributor
Contributor

Smiley Happy So Woody, you think that 1.1.1 is even faster than 1.1.3?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Smiley Happy So Woody, you think that 1.1.1 is even faster than 1.1.3?

No that is not what I'm trying to say. I have not had the need to use any version of Fusion 1.x higher the Fusion 1.1.1 as the 1.1.2 and 1.1.3 updates offered nothing I needed and have not installed them to use in production only in testing for resolution for user posted issues. So I continue to use Fusion 1.1.1 as the sweet spot in this product line for my Mac related production needs.

0 Kudos
neanelu
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Woody for your reply.

Do you know anything about better support for 2D? I know you are not supposed to speak about future releases but are you working on this or this?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Do you know anything about better support for 2D? I know you are not supposed to speak about future releases but are you working on this or this?

If you already "know you are not supposed to speak about future releases" then why would you even bother asking? Not that it matters because I do not work for VMware so I cannot comment on that anyway. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
neanelu
Contributor
Contributor

I have a second 21" monitor attached to my MBP and panning with mouse over the drawings is extremely slow on this monitor. The monitor's resolution is set to 1680x1050 and I use VMWare in fullscreen mode.

Any news or advice for better 2D display?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I have a second 21" monitor attached to my MBP and panning with mouse over the drawings is extremely slow on this monitor. The monitor's resolution is set to 1680x1050 and I use VMWare in fullscreen mode.

Any news or advice for better 2D display?

Are you using both monitors in fullscreen, or only one?

If both, I'm guessing you have the monitors arranged side by side. Try putting them vertically and see if that helps performance (you may have to quit Fusion while rearranging them). If this helps, it's because the total size of the monitors in side-by-side configuration exceeds the maximum texture size of your MBP's graphics card, so we have to fall back to software rendering mode, which is slower.

If only one, nothing immediately comes to mind.

0 Kudos
neanelu
Contributor
Contributor

I use only the 21" monitor for Fusion and that is set to fullscreen..

0 Kudos