VMware Communities
seanmh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Fusion 3 - XP Pro to Windows 7 upgrade

I'm trying out Fusion 3 and I'd like to buy but I can't purchase until I get this figured out. I have an XP Pro disc which I installed fine in a VM. But I want to upgrade it to Windows 7. I know it has to be a clean install but I create a new VM and then Windows 7 installer tells me that I must start the installation from within a supported product (since its an upgrade disc). How do I upgrade my XP Pro to Windows 7?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I don't have have the upgrade media just the full versions from Microsoft. If Easy Install doesn't work uncheck that option in the new machine wizard for a Windows 7 machine and follow Paul's steps for a Custom (Advanced) install, leaving the license key empty and uncheck "automatically activate when I'm online."

If you want to bring your files over from your XP machine check out Windows Easy Transfer for transferring from Windows XP (32 bit) to Windows 7

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Assuming you don't have the license for that XP disc tied up elsewhere use Paul's supersite way of installing from upgrade media: Clean Install Windows 7 with Upgrade Media.

Start with the Windows Easy Install option in the new machine wizard and leave the license key blank, then follow the one of the options on Paul's site.

0 Kudos
seanmh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry, I misread the article. Going through it now.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I don't have have the upgrade media just the full versions from Microsoft. If Easy Install doesn't work uncheck that option in the new machine wizard for a Windows 7 machine and follow Paul's steps for a Custom (Advanced) install, leaving the license key empty and uncheck "automatically activate when I'm online."

If you want to bring your files over from your XP machine check out Windows Easy Transfer for transferring from Windows XP (32 bit) to Windows 7

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Finally got a copy of retail Win7 upgrade media for x86 and x64. It works with Fusion's Windows Easy Install without entering a key so long as you pick the version of Win7 you bought from the list.

0 Kudos