VMware Communities
ke3pup
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Fusion v2.0.1 - Can you hide Boot Camp Partition?

hi guys

One thing i'm annoyed with Vmware Fusion is that it automatically detects the Boot camp Partition and shows it in fusion. What if i don't want it to show in vmware fusion? there is no option to hide it. Does v2.0.1 address that?

If not, Is there any workaround for this? i've already tried Delete the Boot Camp from Fusion but after Fusion Restarts it detects Boot camp again.

Thanx

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

can you please let the developers know about this by sending them a feedback

Eric (etung) is one of the developers and this subject has been broached before so the developers are aware of it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you do not see it as an option under Fusion Preferences then I doubt there is an way of keeping it from being detected.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

One thing i'm annoyed with Vmware Fusion is that it automatically detects the Boot camp Partition and shows it in fusion. What if i don't want it to show in vmware fusion? there is no option to hide it. Does v2.0.1 address that?

No, there's currently no way to do this. It's something we know people would like.

ke3pup
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

can you please let the developers know about this by sending them a feedback, surely there would be many wanting their boot camp partition hidden away from fusion. i couldn't find a link to do that myself. Thank you guys

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

can you please let the developers know about this by sending them a feedback

Eric (etung) is one of the developers and this subject has been broached before so the developers are aware of it.

0 Kudos
ke3pup
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanx, hopefully we'll soon see it implemented in fusion.

0 Kudos
ke3pup
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi guys

By the look of things there will be no way of stopping Bootcamp partition from appearing in Fusion anytime soon, and chances are this bug will be the very bottom of priorities since its not a "Bug", just an annoyance/feature they decided to bundle with this application.

Anyhow, to take a more practical approach, DIY if you like, i read around the net that some people have difficulties seeing the bootcamp partition in Fusion, that Fusion somehow fails in detecting Bootcamp partition or at times it reads it incorrectly and solution to that appears to be by going in Vmware folder in Application support and deleting the Bootcamp folder and re-launching Fusion to have bootcamp re-detected.

So my question is, How can i corrupt the contents of the Bootcamp folder in a way that Fusion no longer shows the partition in Fusion, Not even as “Damaged Partition” as those people were reporting. I'm happy to experiment so please tell me which file is responsible in detecting Bootcamp so i can delete it or if there is config file somewhere I’m happy to corrupt them by adding junk text to it to see if it’ll stop Bootcamp appearing in Fusion. Surely it's possible since many people on different forum were having problems with Fusion detecting bootcamp without knowing what’s causing it, so if I can replicate that then I’ll be one happy customer; better than sit and wait for mercy of developers to one day fix this bug. (If at all).

any suggestions would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
ke3pup
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Looks like its all done by "vmware-rawdiskCreator”. I renamed the file to "vmware-rawdiskCreator_bak" (you could rename it to anything) and Bootcamp is no longer being detected, so I just deleted it from the Main Window and it's gone for good. Renaming the "vmware-rawdiskCreator_bak" to original file name returns the functionality by the way so no love loss there. The other Virtual machines seem to be unaffected.

Bob's your uncle :).

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Nice work-a-round if one doesn't want the Boot Camp partition to appear on the Virtual Machine Library. I for one don't what it there until VMware fixes the design flaw in Fusion in how it does not properly deals with the BSD Name of the Boot Camp partition changing.

Thanks for posting it! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Raptor7
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

There's another workaround for this.

If you've ever used Boot Camp with VMware, you probably have a file like this:

~/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp/%2Fdev%2Fdisk0/Boot Camp partition.vmwarevm

You may also have noticed that removing this file doesn't get rid of its entry in the Virtual Machines list.

However, you can take any of your other VMs, rename it "Boot Camp partition.vmwarevm", and put it in that folder. Then, in your Virtual Machines list, the "Boot Camp partition" entry should go away, since the name of the Virtual Machine is stored in the file (not derived from the filename). You may end up with a question-mark entry for the old location of the VM you just moved, but you can remove that from the list.

I'm currently doing it this way, because my Boot Camp uses two partitions and I created a custom Boot Camp VM to handle that.

0 Kudos
igeling
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi!

In Fusion 3 i renamed the file "vmware-cloneBootCamp" to "vmware-cloneBootCampbak" and now i don't see the BootCamp in fusion.

You will find the file in: /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion.

Regards

Olaf

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

In Fusion 3, deleting the Boot Camp entry will hide it. You can get it back by selecting "Run Windows from your Boot Camp partition" on the Home pane.

0 Kudos