VMware Communities
thk41
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Fusion 6.0.2 - "Internal Error" when trying to start a virtual machine on OS X 10.9.1 Server

I installed Fusion 6 on a MacMini with OS X 10.9.1 Server. After Installation I was prompted to upgrade to Fusion 6.0.2 which I did.

I created a VM and connected an Ubuntu 12.04 ISO image to the CD drive. Whenever I try to start this VM I get a window with the message "Internal Error".

Re-installing Fusion made no difference. I tried the all suggestions from the  thread "Internal Error When starting a VM on Fusion 6 - Mavericks Host" - no success.

How can I find out what the specific reason is for this "Internal Error"?

Thomas

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
thk41
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Finally I could get it working but did not learn much about the actual reason of the issue I had:

Solution: I did a "clean install" of OS X 10.9.1 (booted from USB - formatted System disk and installed OS X) - then installed VMware Fusion 6.0.2.

Everything works fine now.

Thomas

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

To help figure out what is what, the best way to provide comprehensive diagnostic information is to use the "Collect Support Information" command from the VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > Collect Support Information and then attach the .zip file (or .tgz file if pre-version 6) it created on your Desktop to a reply post.

Note: Use the "Use advanced editor" link in the upper right corner of the normal reply window to bring up the Advanced Editor where you'll be able to attach files via the Choose File button or Browse button (depending on the Browser) above the Post Message button!

0 Kudos
thk41
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thank you for your swift reply. Please find attached the file with the collected support info.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I'm not an expert with this particular error and after reading the logs and testing the Ubuntu-64-Bit Virtual Machine enclosed in the support bundle (with and without adding a virtual hard disk) and the fact that you installed VMware Fusion 6.0 and then updated to VMware Fusion 6.0.2 my suggestion is as follows.  Delete the existing Ubuntu-64-Bit Virtual machine and uninstall VMware Fusion and then directly download the VMware Fusion 6.0.2 installer, check the downloaded .dmg file against its published MD5/SHA1 checksum(s) and then install it.  Create a new Ubuntu-64-Bit Virtual Machine and see if all is well.

As far as MD5/SHA1 checksum(s) goes, as an example, have a look at the red arrows in the image below for key information.

(Click image to enlarge.)

https___communities.vmware.com_servlet_JiveServlet_showImage_2-2340468-35427_Read_More_MD5_SHA1_Checksums.png

0 Kudos
thk41
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank's for taking the time to look into this issue.

I deleted the Ubuntu VM, removed Fusion (VMware Fusion.app and other files in Library etc.) and restarted.

Next I downloadad Fusion 6.0.2 Installer, checked checksums (MD5 and SHA1 -> OK) and installed Fusion 6.0.2

Created Ubuntu VM (this time it did download the Linux VMware Tools as well) and connected to Ubuntu ISO image.

But when trying to start the VM - same error message: Internal Error.

I attached the Support Info again to this post.

Thomas

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi Thomas,

Are you by any chance using blue tooth devices?

The logs have some strange reports on blue tooth misbehaving around the same time as your VMware Fusion is trying to start a virtual machine and then crashing.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
thk41
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Wil,

no I don't need any Bluetooth devices so I disabled Bluetooth on the host and in the VM.

I re-installed OS X 10.9.1 (CMD-R at startup) on the host.

Still same error when trying to start the machine. I attach the latest Support Info file.

Thomas

0 Kudos
thk41
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Finally I could get it working but did not learn much about the actual reason of the issue I had:

Solution: I did a "clean install" of OS X 10.9.1 (booted from USB - formatted System disk and installed OS X) - then installed VMware Fusion 6.0.2.

Everything works fine now.

Thomas

0 Kudos