VMware Communities
gently
Contributor
Contributor

HELP! BSOD when upgrading to XP SP3

This topic has been covered last year with no satisfactory answer (that I can understand).

I tried to upgrade to XP SP3. It was unsuccessful since I now get a BSOD whenever I boot up Windows. I get the message:

"STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}

The Session Manager Initialization system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc000026c (0x00000000 0x00000000).

The system has been shut down."

However now I have a problem because I can't reinstall Windows XP from CD. It does not recognise any HDD even though they appear on Fusion settings. I really can't afford to delete the virtual computer and start again as this would lose weeks worth of bespoke software installation.

Any help very gratefully received.

Cheers,

Roger.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
gently
Contributor
Contributor

I have managed to sort it out, thanks to a previous post. It was a case of making the scsi drivers available via a floppy disk drive (see below)

+Re: XP SP3 Endless rebooting Jul 22, 2008 6:03 PM+

+in response to: skyedog+

+Click to view WoodyZ's profile Champion WoodyZ 5,373 posts since+

+Apr 22, 2004+

+Reply 5. Re: XP SP3 Endless rebooting Jul 22, 2008 6:03 PM+

+in response to: skyedog+

+Download the SCSI Disk Drivers and assign the vmscsi-1.2.0.4.flp to a Floppy via the Settings sheet for the target Virtual Machine. You cannot use a USB Floppy Drive in Fusion at this point in the process.+

+Have a look at: VMware Fusion menu > Help > VMware Fusion Help > Managing Virtual Machines > Configuring a Floppy Device+

Cheers,

Roger

0 Kudos