VMware Communities
Vassili_TN
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How do I make a USB printer connect to Windows guest automatically?

What I have:

HOST: OS X 10.9.3

GUEST: Windows 7 Pro x64

VMWare Fusion 6.0.4

Objective: To have the USB printer work in both host and guest OS

What I have done so far:

As redirection via VMWare didn't work (redirection hardly ever does) what I did was setup NIC for windows in bridged mode and give it a static IP. I then selected for the USB printer to be connected to Windows. In Windows I shared the printer and then in OS X connected to it. Printer prints fine from both operating systems as desired.

Problem:

If I power off the Windows VM and then power it back on the printer does not reconnect automatically. In Windows "devices and printers" window it shows as greyed out. I have to manually click Vitural Machine, USB and Bluetooth, Connect <printer>. Once I do it connects immediately and works properly. Would really like for that connection to happen automatically whenever the VM is powered on, but so far haven't found a way to do it.

Thank you

V

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
avanish321
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Try Apple Bonjour Technique. This always works . Ensure that the USB printer is connected to your Mac and not the Virtual Machine.

For details refer

Sharing a printer with a Windows virtual machine using Apple Bonjour

Cheers! Avanish

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
avanish321
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Try Apple Bonjour Technique. This always works . Ensure that the USB printer is connected to your Mac and not the Virtual Machine.

For details refer

Sharing a printer with a Windows virtual machine using Apple Bonjour

Cheers! Avanish
0 Kudos
Vassili_TN
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That makes sense, I will try that in a day or two next time I am at that site. I shared it off windows because when I shared it off Mac windows couldn't find it, looks like I need that extra piece. Will let you know how it works out, thank you

0 Kudos
Vassili_TN
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

avanish321, that's exactly it! I shared the printer off the Mac, installed the bonjour software and then windows found it. I guess the piece I didn't know was that windows by itself is too stupid to find a printer that's shared off a Mac. Thank you very much for your help!

0 Kudos