VMware Communities
hdbaumeister
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to add/delete VMs to/from startup list

Could someone please give me a hint on how to add/delete VMs to/from startup list?

Is it an INI file somewhere or did I miss something in settings?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

@etung: I'm still using version 1.2 (not willing to run a beta).

Then you probably shouldn't have posted in the beta forums Smiley Happy Moved to the normal ones. Also, there is no such thing as Fusion 1.2; I assume you mean 1.1.2.

I'm not trying to automatically start up a VM - what I'm trying to do is to change the VM list, i.e. when I start Fusion, I get a smallish window on my screen that lists the available VMs. It currently contains a VM that doesn't exist anymore and a couple VMs that do exist aren't on the list.

This window is called the Virtual Machine Library (as you can see in the titlebar). You can delete no-longer-existing virtual machines by selecting them and pressing delete; you can add virtual machines by drag-and-drop.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
MPM01
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
Paul_Thomas
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

You can do this from the web ui.

Ensure you have your host selected in the inventory, then click 'editvirtual machine startup/shutdown' under commands.

A pannel will then appear, you need to enable the option at the top, then specify which vm's you want to start/stop at boot/reboot time. You can also specify a delay, the order machines start, and how they close.

Thats how you set it up, you will need to check how well it works. I use Vista ultimate 64 as my host, and the shutdown does not work, however the startup does. I always suspend my VMs (and wait for all disk activity to finish) before I reboot.

Appologies - I thought I was in the vmware server 2 beta forum, so I'm not sure if the above is correct for fusion. I'll leave it there just in case it is!

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Appologies - I thought I was in the vmware server 2 beta forum, so I'm not sure if the above is correct for fusion.

It's not, Fusion and Server are very different.

hdbameister: Fusion 2.0 allows you to select a single virtual machine to automatically run when Fusion is started. You can change this in the Preferences or by ctrl-clicking on an entry in Fusion's Library window. If you want to start more than one at once, you can do so from the Finder (or script this if you do it regularly).

0 Kudos
hdbaumeister
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

All,

thank you for your speedy responses.

@MPM01: I checked through the document. I was not able to find anything on changing the VM list - what did I miss?

@etung: I'm still using version 1.2 (not willing to run a beta). I'm not trying to automatically start up a VM - what I'm trying to do is to change the VM list, i.e. when I start Fusion, I get a smallish window on my screen that lists the available VMs. It currently contains a VM that doesn't exist anymore and a couple VMs that do exist aren't on the list.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

@etung: I'm still using version 1.2 (not willing to run a beta).

Then you probably shouldn't have posted in the beta forums Smiley Happy Moved to the normal ones. Also, there is no such thing as Fusion 1.2; I assume you mean 1.1.2.

I'm not trying to automatically start up a VM - what I'm trying to do is to change the VM list, i.e. when I start Fusion, I get a smallish window on my screen that lists the available VMs. It currently contains a VM that doesn't exist anymore and a couple VMs that do exist aren't on the list.

This window is called the Virtual Machine Library (as you can see in the titlebar). You can delete no-longer-existing virtual machines by selecting them and pressing delete; you can add virtual machines by drag-and-drop.

0 Kudos
hdbaumeister
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Etung,

thanks very much - I must have hit the wrong link while posting.

It's so easy (to add/delete VMs) once you know how.

Thanks again.

Best regards,

Hans

0 Kudos