VMware Communities
Knocka
Contributor
Contributor

Mapping Drives/Printing

I know these are basic questions, but they are driving me crazy and for some reason I cannot figure them out.

Problem 1: I want to map a network drive/share from the VM (running XP) to the Mac (running Leopard). I want to be able to drag and drop a file from Outlook in XP into that shared folder so I can open it on the Mac side. I want to do this using the OS network sharing features, not the VMs method, which I have found slow and unstable.

I assume I share the folder on the Mac side. But how do I map to it on the XP side.

I should say that I have XP Pro and it logs into my domain, whereas Mac does not. Mac does sees the folders on my domain server.

Problem 2: I have a Brother printer connected by USB to Mac. Mac prints to it perfectly. I want to be able to print to it from the VM/XP side. I assume, therefore, I have to share the printer, and connect it in XP. Can someone help.

I appreciate it.

Chris

0 Kudos
1 Reply
MandarMS
Expert
Expert

1) Download and Install Bonjour for Windows from the below link: 2) Ensure you are able to print from Mac OS 3) Share the printer in Mac OS by going to System Preference > Print & Fax > Select your printer and Select "Share this printers " 4) Go to System Preference and Sharing and turn on file Sharing and Windows sharing by clicking on “Option” 5) Change the Network Mode to "Bridge" and power on the virtual machine 6) In virtual Machine Double click Bonjour. After clicking next, the name of the shared printer and the will both appear. 7) Highlight and click next. 😎 Under"Manufacturer", it will show "Generic" and under Model, it willshow "Generic/Postscript". 9) Highlight"Generic/Postscript" and click next. 10) Click Finish in the next screen, and then wait patiently until the dialogue box goes away by itself

0 Kudos