VMware Communities
britgal1
Contributor
Contributor

No VM on the mac side-Ok on the windows side

I have installed everything and I have a "windows on the mac" icon on my windows xp desktop. It links to my documents file as it is supposed to.

Problem: i have no virtual machine on the mac side and no VM.vmx files in my docs file on the mac side. What am I missing?

0 Kudos
34 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

What am I missing?

0 Kudos
britgal1
Contributor
Contributor

Just curious. Why didn't you answer my question?

britgal1

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Actually I did answer your question "What am I missing?" which is the only question you asked as the rest of your post were statements. Of which the information in those statements is somewhat ambiguous and doesn't exactly make sense. So it would behoove you to read the document and provide the missing information while being a bit more detailed about your issue.

0 Kudos
britgal1
Contributor
Contributor

Just take my request off. You are clearly not interested in helping.

If I understood it better than I do, then I guess I wouldn't need

help now would I?

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

What exactly are you asking?

What product are you using (I'm assuming Fusion here since you're posting in the Fusion forum, but you never know), what version?

What does your guest's vmx file contain?

Any other pertinent information (please read the document which Woody pointed to twice now, for examples)

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

On the main page of the forum is states "The VMware Fusion user community is here to help you get the most of out VMware Fusion. To help us help you more quickly, please read first." and I responded to your first question with that document link so you could read it and supply enough additional information in order to try and help you however you seem to not want to read it and supply the information requested in that document. So if you don't what to that's fine however I'll have to let a cryptologist decipher the lack of information you have already provided. Lets face it even the subject "No VM on the mac side-Ok on the windows side" doesn't make any sense without some additional information beyond what you have already said.

0 Kudos
britgal1
Contributor
Contributor

Ok I will try again. I installed everything and set up shared folders

on the windows side which access my documents file on the mac side

correctly. And yes we are talking about fusion on my macbook with

windows xp home on the windows side.

When I pull up my documents file on the mac side, there is no virtual

machine there. If I can access my mac docs file from the windows

side, why can't I access the virtual machine from the mac side? Is

that any clearer?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, that certainly made more sense although I wish you would have provided the other information requested in the linked document such as the versions of OS X and Fusion, etc however this should answer the question...

What do you mean by "I installed everything" what is everything?

You also said "and set up shared folders on the windows side which access my documents file on the mac side correctly" which doesn't make sense as setting up a windows share has nothing to do with being able to access files on the Host although I suspect you mean that in Fusion (which is on the Mac side as you put it) set up a Shared Folder for the Virtual Machine and that Shared Folder points to the "Documents" folder in your Home Folder on the Mac.

If you also want to access your "My Documents" Folder in the Virtual Machine then you will have to properly share that resource through Windows and then access it through the Host via Finder > Go > Connect to Server... and use one of the following Address Formats... smb://Computer_Name/Share_Name or smb://IP_Address/Share_Name and once you mount the share you can create an Alias to get back to it more easily.

0 Kudos
britgal1
Contributor
Contributor

Now it is my turn to say I have absolutely no idea what your final

paragraph said. Maybe we don't speak english and we just think we do :>)

According to the tutorials on the vmware website support under shared

folders, it says that the "host" document folder should contain a

file called virtual machine a .vmx file. I have no such file in my

documents anywhere. I thought I was doing so well. And I am using

10.5.3 leopard and 1.1.3 fusion. Sorry my frustration with this is

getting out of hand.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

It would be more helpful if you are going to quote something that you read at the VMware's site to include a link to what you're quoting so we can see first hand what you're looking at. I will say this however, what you have said it says doesn't make any sense at all and I do not believe is correct information if that is indeed what it actually says.

What I will say is...

By default Virtual Machines are created in the "~/Documents/Virtual Machines" folder.

~ Is your Home Folder

They are placed in a Folder (Bundle Package) with an extension of ".vmwarevm" which by default the extension is not visible in Finder.

Example: "~/Documents/Virtual Machines/Windows XP.vmwarevm" would in Finder just look like an icon named "Windows XP"

You can view the Package Contents of the "Windows XP.vmwarevm" folder by ctrl+click (or right-click) the "Windows XP" icon and select Show Package Contents.

Within the Virtual Machine's Bundle Package there is one .vmx file and this is the configuration file for the target Virtual Machine and aside from it containing the Virtual Machine Network configuration information and other configuration information it has absolutely nothing else whatsoever with being able to access a Shared Network Resource within the Guest's OS. In other words as long as the Guest has Network Connectivity to Host then accessing file on the Guest from the Host is dependent on sharing the resource on the Guest and accessing it via the Network from the Host which will require User Account and Password validation from the Host to the Guest.

There is information in both the Host's Help Files and the Guest's Help Files on sharing resources and accessing them from other OSes and or computers.

0 Kudos
britgal1
Contributor
Contributor

answer below.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

answer below.

All your last post said was "answer below." and there was nothing below. Did you forget something?

0 Kudos
britgal1
Contributor
Contributor

Where is your reply?

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Where is your reply?

What is your question? All you said was "answer below"...

0 Kudos
britgal1
Contributor
Contributor

~ Is your Home Folder

. I have no virtual machine folder in my documents in my home

folder. I've searched for .vmx files and there are none. Thus my

unintelligible question. I think I will uninstall everything and try

again from scratch.

kathy

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Well, if you've created an XP virtual machine, then the files have to be there somewhere. Search for *.vmwarevm files (they are a "bundle/package" file containing the vmx, vmdk, etc. files).

0 Kudos
britgal1
Contributor
Contributor

I completely agree with you but a search of the entire mac computer

says they don't exist. I searched in spotlight.

Kathy

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I have no virtual machine folder in my documents in my home folder. I've searched for .vmx files and there are none. Thus my unintelligible question. I think I will uninstall everything and try again from scratch.

The default location I stated before is for normal file based Fusion Virtual Machines and if by chance you used Mac OS X Boot Camp Assistant to install Windows on your Mac and now have used Fusion to create a Virtual Machine of the Boot Camp partition then the Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine is located in a different location and if you haven yet created a normal file based Fusion Virtual Machine then there will not be a Virtual Machine folder in the Documents folder in your Home Folder. Also if you did create a normal file based Fusion Virtual Machine using the New Virtual Machine Assistant and changed the default location then that also would explain it not being in the default location.

In any event I doubt uninstalling everything and starting over is going to make any difference however if you think it the best way to go then have at it.

I have to say that from what you have written so far it is obvious that you really do not know what you're doing and I'm not trying to be derogatory I'm just stating an observation from what has transpired in this thread so unless you can try to express exactly what it is you're trying to accomplish and or why you're trying to find the .vmx file I can't provide any help beyond what I have already provided. Hopefully someone else can understand you better then I have and provide the answers your looking for.

0 Kudos
britgal1
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for being so insulting. I have only followed the crappy

instructions that are NOT made available with the software.........

If as you say " and if you haven yet created a normal file based

Fusion Virtual Machine then there will not be a Virtual Machine

folder in the Documents folder in your Home Folder. "

How do I do that ? Obviously that must be the problem. I do not see

that anywhere in the non existent instructions provided with fusion

and boot camp. And by the way my entire macintosh users group has

no idea of this either so I guess we are all just

stupid...................

How about just giving me the information please.

Kathy

0 Kudos