VMware Communities
GuyPardoe
Contributor
Contributor

OSX as Guest VM on Fusion?

Hi,

I just purchased a new Mac Pro with lots of RAM and downloaded Fusion so I could run some Windows and Linux VMs on the same hardware box. This gives me hands-on access to the top three platforms I need to deal with regularly (Win,Mac,Linux).

If it's possible, I would like a Mac VM also. One that I could play around and experiment with (and blow away) and not have to worry that I might risk the stability of the other VMs.

So, can I run a Mac VM on top of a Mac using Fusion?

Thanks,

Guy

0 Kudos
5 Replies
SMB1
Expert
Expert

No you can't.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Not legally. The only way to have an OSX guest is using hacked kexts, and violates Apple's licensing.

slewsys
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare can boot Windows from a bootcamp partition, as I understand. If other copies of OS X were installed on separate disks and/or partitions, is it not technically possible to boot those within (a future version of) VMWare? That would be extremely helpful for those of us who don't have access to Apple's testing labs ...

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

An unmodified version of OS X will refuse to run inside a VM.

If this is something you'd like to do, please ask Apple to support it... spread the word. If you have sales or developer contacts with Apple, let them know how useful it would be to have OS X VMs on your Mac Pro.

As far as the benefits of this, you're preaching to the choir if you tell us about it Smiley Wink But we need help and support from Apple to make it a reality.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

VMWare can boot Windows from a bootcamp partition, as

I understand. If other copies of OS X were installed

on separate disks and/or partitions, is it not

technically possible to boot those within (a future

version of) VMWare? That would be extremely helpful

for those of us who don't have access to Apple's

testing labs ...

Since OSX-x86 only supports booting via EFI (again, unless you apply the hacked kexts and bootloader/chain), I seriously doubt that this would work. As Matt said, bug Apple about this. Now that they've switched to Intel hardware, there is no reason other than "we've always done things this way" that they shouldn't sell their OS as such, and not require you to buy their severely overpriced hardware too.

Yes, one can \*technically* run an OSX guest from a virtual disk (I have this 'friend' who has run several versions to test things out). But it's not legal.

0 Kudos