VMware Communities
eositis
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Problems installing win98 and ME

Hello-

Have a mac mini with 2gb ram. I am trying to install a win98 or ME vm, but I seem to be having problems getting the vm to boot from the cd or an iso. The machine jumps right into the network boot. I have also tried with a different cd drive. Once the VM starts, the cd disappears from the desktop, but nothing else happens.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Elmars

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Linh_My
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Try using a boot floppy or DOS boot CD. http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm is a good source of boot disk downloadable images. You may have to FDISK, format the vHD and install system files. After FDISK ing the VHD you may need to enter the VMware BIOS and change boot order back to CD or floppy depending on the image used before you can format the vHD.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Linh_My
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Try using a boot floppy or DOS boot CD. http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm is a good source of boot disk downloadable images. You may have to FDISK, format the vHD and install system files. After FDISK ing the VHD you may need to enter the VMware BIOS and change boot order back to CD or floppy depending on the image used before you can format the vHD.

0 Kudos
eositis
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Blimey-

It has been so long since I played with win98 and ME... I completely forgot about the need for a boot floppy. When I found the disks not boot on VMware Server machines, I started digging deeper and discovered what you point out... A boot floppy is needed. I made one from opendos, which I have lying here in another VM, and am already up and running.

All I really want to do is run some older games which don't work so well on xp...!

Thanks

Elmars

0 Kudos
Linh_My
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have been playing with Win98 and NT4 guests. I like the idea of single application windows appliances and the relatively low footprint and valid licensees I have floating around make Win98 and NT4 appealing.

0 Kudos
jwycoff
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

What?

My Imac works no problems.

Macbook drops into network boot only.

How to stop? I tried to download boot floppy... VTM wouldn't recognize...

Please help?

0 Kudos