VMware Communities
aurfalien
Contributor
Contributor

Running Fusion as a network user

Hi,

I cannot run Fusion as a non local account.

I can run it all day long as any local user but as soon as I try to launch it via a network user meaning some one who is logged in and is not defined locally but defined via Open Directory, it fails to launch.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
15 Replies
KumarLande
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How are you trying to launch Fusion through network, are you using screen sharing. There is an article regarding multiple users using the same virrtual machine, try it out, hopefully it will work, could be permission issue. Here is the link for that article : http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1005196

0 Kudos
aurfalien
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

What I mean by network user is this;

Its a user account defined by a directory service and logs in to the box directly as that user.

One can either have a locally define user or one defined by a directory service like Active Directory, Open Directory. LDAP etc...  Its this user which I am calling a network user.

There is no screen sharing etc.. or running the app from a networ share as its installed n the local hard drive as is the guest itself.

This is the error I get when launching as a network defined user;

LSOpenURLsWithRole() failed with error -10810 for the file /Applications/VMware Fusion.app.

I go the error by opening a command line and typing;

open /Applications/VMware Fusion.app

Since clicking on the app wasn;t giving any errors to study.

So, am I up a creak?

Forgot to add that I did follow the directions on your link, thanks for that.  Let me know what else to try.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Don't use the command line - can you open it from the Applications folder in that user account? 

It sounds like the user doesn't have the rights to use that application.  Does the account have admin rights to the workstation, and/or have rights to the application itself?

0 Kudos
aurfalien
Contributor
Contributor

The network user has local administrator privs on that box.  When I do click on /Application/VMware Fusion, it bounces a few seconds on the launch bar and then disappears.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Here's a brute force test - have you tried installing Fusion as that user?

0 Kudos
aurfalien
Contributor
Contributor

Same result.

I uninstalled Fusion and re installed it as a network user and still the same result.  I would rather keep using VMware products but Parallels works with network type users (users defined via a directory service like LDAP, AD, OD, etc...) so I may be forced to drop Fusion Smiley Sad

Whatever works I guess.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Try logging a support ticket with VMWare on this issue.

0 Kudos
aurfalien
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I don't have active support so how would a notify support of this problem?

Certianly not going tp buy support since it works using Parallels or Virtualbox.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Click the support link at the top of the forum.

0 Kudos
aurfalien
Contributor
Contributor

Would you mind giving me a link?

I see Supports and Downloads link which requires a contract.

Didn't see a support link on the forum itself.

0 Kudos
aurfalien
Contributor
Contributor

A little more debug yeilded the problem.

Looks like Fusion will not luanch on a case sensitive volumn.  Why this limitation, I dunno.

Hos does one submit a feature request of this type; to allow runinng Fusion on a case sensitive file system?

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi aurfalien,

Could I ask how you concluded that case-sensitivity was the problem?  We usually test VMware Fusion on case-sensitive (HFSX) and case-insenstive (HFS+) local volumes, so while it's possible that something has regressed and made us case-sensitive, it's generally expected to work.  Can you provide more information on the filesystem(s) in use?  (Local/remote, filesystem type/options, server type/protocol, etc...)

Fusion 5 includes 18 months of email support.  If you're logged into My VMware using the account to which an in-support-period serial number is registered, you should be able to file a support request there in My VMware without having to buy any additional support.  If that still doesn't work for you, I can (and do) file internal bug reports when given enough information or steps to reproduce the problem.  :smileygrin:

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
aurfalien
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Many thanks for the reply and the great info.

I moved the users home directory to a non case sensaitive FS and it worked.

I tried local vs directory defined user which didn't efect anything.

Its only when I moved the account to a non case sensitive FS, that Fusion worked.  Prior to this, when I would launch, it came up seeting prefs etc, then quit.

Can I still fill out a bug report as an eval type thing as I have not baught the upgrade yet.

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi aurfalien,

Are these all local filesystems (i.e. local hard disks)?

Are they all HFS+/HFSX ("Mac OS Extended") filesystems?

I'll file a bug report here if I have enough information to be able to reproduce the problem here. :smileycool:

Thanks,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
aurfalien
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I've tested via local and NFS mounted volumes.

On NFS, I've tested non case vs case and the problem followed the case sensative NFS mount.

0 Kudos