VMware Communities
AVMbugRep
Contributor
Contributor

Screen Problem (Mac + External Screen)

VMware fusion Version: Professional Version 8.5.0 (4352717)

macOS version : 10.12

Hi,

I have 2 Gest on my VMware fusion (Windows7 and Ubuntu 16). The latest version of VMware tool is installed on both of them. However, I have trouble with screen management.

While running Windows 7, connecting and disconnecting the external display to my MAC is not handled correctly by VMware (sometimes I cannot have my Windows7 on both screens)

Also when I open Ubuntu while Windows7 is opened on both screen, I miss the second screens of my Window7. The Ubuntu take place on top of that.

It works perfectly with previous VMware version I had.

Since it is really annoying, I would be grateful if you could fix this issue and release a new version.

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
zhus
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I guess it could be related to the tab feature in macOS 10.12. With this new feature, it will collect VM virtual displays into one Space as tabs by default.

You can try the following workaround:

Open System Preferences -> Dock. Select "Manually" in the drop-down list of "Prefer tabs when opening documents".

0 Kudos
AVMbugRep
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Zhus,

Your solution fixes the problem for me.

But one more question, when I use all display for the guest operating system (in full screen mode), and I switch to the virtual machine on one screen(display) then the other display is also switched to that guest operating system automatically.

Although it is not a problem, and in fact it could be very helpful, do you know how we can disable this option (I mean automatic switching the second screen)?

Regards,

Arash

0 Kudos