VMware Communities
pb_vmw
Contributor
Contributor

Snow Leopard as guest OS in VMWare Fusion 7

I summarize my questions in the title of this thread. I would like to run Snow Leopard under VMWare Fusion 7 and I would like to hear from people that are actually using it in this setting. The host machine would be Yosemite.

Are there any notable problems, e.g. related to audio, display resolution, networking, etc.? And where could I buy Snow Leopard Server? If I understand well, only the server version will work with VMWare Fusion.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
KumarLande
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

Yes you are correct, we can run on the server edition on Fusion and we should have no problems.

-However there are few limitations. Go through this article(Additional section) : http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1032440

-Hope this helps you...

Cheers...

0 Kudos
pb_vmw
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the article, it really helped. But now there is another question, regarding graphics. It says that Mac OS guests will run only in SVGA. Generally this means resolution at 800x600. Is it really that low?

0 Kudos
KumarLande
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No, not really. It depends on your screen size. With me it goes to as high as 1920x1080. I am running a 10.10 Yosemite virtual machine.

Cheers..

0 Kudos
vmxmr
Expert
Expert

pb_vmw wrote:

Thank you for the article, it really helped. But now there is another question, regarding graphics. It says that Mac OS guests will run only in SVGA. Generally this means resolution at 800x600. Is it really that low?

I believe it refers more to the lack of accelerated graphics, not display resolution.

I run Snow Leopard Server, Mac OS X 10.6.8 under VMware Fusion 7.1.1 in full screen mode, which is 1920 x 1080 (21 inch mid-2011 iMac). I am still running Mavericks on the host Mac, in case it matters. I have been running Snow Leopard Server on progressive versions of VMware Fusion under progressive versions of OS X. There have been no issues other than the limitations that have already been noted in the article. I use Snow Leopard Server to run several legacy applications that will not run on later versions of OS X.

VMware Fusion and Parallels will not install or run the non-server version of Snow Leopard, which is not permitted under Apple's license agreement. There are various hacks and methods that will let you violate the license, but why bother when you can buy a legal, legitimate copy of Snow Leopard Server for $20 from Apple?

0 Kudos