VMware Communities
hdbngr
Contributor
Contributor

Solaris10 networking through Airport

I see all kinds of answers for NAT vs Bridged vs Host-Only, but always for Windows users...

Me, Solaris 10 VM... Host is MacBook Pro with Airport wireless > Router > Internet

What do I do on a Solaris VM to talk to the internet? Do I config a "phsical port?" (I don't think so...)

I have tried All 3 options and cannot get out to the internet... Is Airport/Wireless just not gonna work?

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

VMware Fusion always presents a Wired NIC regardless of the presence of WiFi on the Host. In other words if the active network connection on the Host is WiFi then Fusion bridges itself to it and can connect to the Internet through it however in the Guest the NIC shows as a Wired NIC.

Have a look at:

0 Kudos
gbullman
Expert
Expert

I downloaded the Solaris 10 Workstation Virtual Appliance from Sun. Initially I upgraded VMware Tools (from Fusion 1.1.2 at the time) on the appliance and that pretty much broke the networking. After starting with a new copy of the appliance and not changing any software, the networking works fine. I am running the VM in bridged mode, and set the VM up for DHCP with the following directions;

http://communities.vmware.com/message/604081#604081

Hopefully you have decent network knowledge, it helps to understand what each step is doing for you.

0 Kudos