VMware Communities
casmered
Contributor
Contributor

Time sync issue - Win7 VM, Fusion 6.0.2, OS X 10.9.2

I travel for work and like my laptop to change time according to time zone I'm in. I run Outlook out of a Win7 VM and would like the VM to match the Mac host time change so my calendar items are in the current time zone. I have the Settings->Advanced->Time Sync checked. I've tried checking and unchecking the Time Server option inside of Win7 and that doesn't seem to matter. Any ideas on how to get this to match up properly?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
WitchKing201110
Contributor
Contributor

I too travel frequently and I'd like to see the same thing. It appears that the time is being synchronized, but the time zone is not. What I'd like to have happen is that both the time and the time zone are both updated based on the host time. Either make that the default behavior or create it as two separate time sync options (ie. One for synchronizing the Time and one for synchronizing the Time Zone).

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi casmered & WitchKing201110141 ,

Thanks for using Fusion and welcome to community.

When you travel  in different places, I recommend that you'd better not adjust the time and time zone manually.

1. Using "Set time zone automatically using current location" and "Set data and time automatically", in System Preferences -> Date & Time. (Sometimes you may restart your host if needed in order to synchronize with time server)

2. Check the vmware tools installed and work fine (sometimes you may need to reinstall the tools)

3. Uncheck and check the "Synchronize time" in Advanced settings of vm

Hope it is a help for you.

0 Kudos
casmered
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks LeoWang18. These are the steps that I have done. I'm using the Mac settings to automatically change time zone and date. I have reinstalled the VMware tools once already and have unchecked and re-checked the sync box. Hmm. Not sure what the issue is then. Besides VMware Tools, any settings inside the Windows portion of VM that would need to change?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi casmered,

No extra action needed, only need VMware tools working.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi casmered & WitchKing201110141,

For now, the Fusion can synchronize time only, there is a known issue for synchronizing the Time Zone.

Sorry for the inconvenience brought.

0 Kudos
Cr0n_J0b
Contributor
Contributor

Not working for me either.  I've tried several options and I can't get this to work.

0 Kudos
brevell
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Leo,

Do confirm that if we have our Mac's automatically updating timezone based on wireless settings that the VM will not update. What is the plan on this getting fixed in Fusion? I'm running 6.0.3 and am still experiencing the issue.

0 Kudos