VMware Communities
CTBob
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to print in OS 10 when Fusion and Windows running

Help please. When running Fusion and Windows if I switch back to a Mac program and want to print, I get an error in my print window saying : Generic class: waiting for device. Have to shut down Windows and Fusion to make it print.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Mac2000
Contributor
Contributor

Have you unconnected the printer from your virtual machine prior to trying to print in the Mac OS?

0 Kudos
CTBob
Contributor
Contributor

Disconnect printer? Do you mean by going into Windows control panel? Thanks

0 Kudos
jgl1975
Expert
Expert

Is it a usb printer ?

If it is, you have to unconnect it from your vm to allow OS X to access it.

You can do this by clicking on the usb icons in the Fusion window.

WardC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'd like to revive this thread to see if there has been any improvement since last August. At that time, etung wrote in the "Fusion 1.0 install for Windows XP Pro: Printer Installation" thread ...

"The thing to remember with USB devices in general is that only one OS can talk to them at a time (or they would get very confused). If you want to print in the guest, you should plug the printer into your Mac and make sure it's connected to the guest (via the device icons or the menu). If you want to print on the host, disconnect the printer from the guest (via the device icons or the menu), this happens automatically when the guest is off."

As I make more use of printing in Windows XP, it's increasingly annoying to have to connect and disconnect my printer as my printing shifts between Mac OS X and Windows. It seems that every time I want to print, the printer is connected to the other operating system.

Is this the best there is on the printing front?

Although I'm very happy to be running WinXP on my Mac, the current printing hassle brings up memories of the ease with which my Brother laser printer happily interleaved Mac OS X printing (via USB) and Windows printing (via the parallel port). Printing is the only reason I regret retiring my Dell PC.

0 Kudos
Bob_Zimmerman
Expert
Expert

Well, you could always connect it to the Mac, then use network printer sharing. Better yet, install the Bonjour for Windows software in your VM and it will spot the share printer automatically.

0 Kudos