VMware Communities
justntime
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware Fusion successful upgrade, but no printers in Windows 7

No problem with the upgrade, however no printers are showing up in Windows 7. I have them enabled in VMware Fusion.

Any Ideas?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dsotm1973
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I too ran into this problem on two VMs, but subsequently solved it. The VMWare Tools installer is not installing the ThinPrint software into Windows. All that needs to be done is to run the VMWare Tools installer again and choose the "Modify" option when it asks if you want to modify or repair the installation. You will then be presented with a tree of items that can be installed or removed. Select the one with the "+" beside it and you will see the ThinPrint option with a yellow "1" beside it. Simply click the icon and choose to install it and all necessary parts (paraphrasing here). Continue with the install and reboot your VM. After that, all printers should be there, as expected. This is the procedure that worked for me on two x64 Win 7 installs. I hope this helps everyone.

Dave

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
16 Replies
matthewtoney
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm having some similar behavior. My Win7 VM now has no printers coming across and my XP one has my default printer but not my second one coming across.

0 Kudos
dyeltonDC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Same issue here as well. All of my Mac printers (10.6.1) displayed and worked when using Windows 7 x64 in VMware Fusion 2.0.6, but after upgrading to VMware Fusion 3.0 the printers are missing, even though the VM is set to use the Mac's printers.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello,

Can one of you please run the Collect Support Information and post it to this thread? Also, would any of you have time to try some debugging on this?

Thank you,

Michelle Barreda

VMware Fusion QA

0 Kudos
dyeltonDC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Here you go!

0 Kudos
matthewtoney
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I will do the same when I'm back in front of the machine in question this evening.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Got it, thanks! I will look it over.

Thank you,

Michelle Barreda

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Thanks it will give me a good comparison!

0 Kudos
justntime
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Here is mine. Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
matthewtoney
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Here is mine as well on my Mac Pro. Can I just say this is a big pain - I have a VM where I absolutely need this feature and depend on it - it sure is tough not having it. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
ETDutch
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have upgraded form fusion 2.0.6 to 3.0.

Upgrade seems OK, but the printer is not working.

I'm using Windows Vista.

Any Clue. (in my thought, it's pretty basic to make sure thaht printing will work...no?)

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

All,

I have logged an internal bug for tracking (bug 468903) . This issue is being looked at. I agree it is painful to not have printers from your VM. For now the workaround would be to add them manually as you would on any Windows machine. It is not ideal, but it may get you printing until the issue is solved.

Sorry for the inconvience,

Michelle Barreda

VMware Fusion QA

0 Kudos
dsotm1973
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I too ran into this problem on two VMs, but subsequently solved it. The VMWare Tools installer is not installing the ThinPrint software into Windows. All that needs to be done is to run the VMWare Tools installer again and choose the "Modify" option when it asks if you want to modify or repair the installation. You will then be presented with a tree of items that can be installed or removed. Select the one with the "+" beside it and you will see the ThinPrint option with a yellow "1" beside it. Simply click the icon and choose to install it and all necessary parts (paraphrasing here). Continue with the install and reboot your VM. After that, all printers should be there, as expected. This is the procedure that worked for me on two x64 Win 7 installs. I hope this helps everyone.

Dave

0 Kudos
matthewtoney
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

What the heck - you're totally right - just tried that on mine and it was the same way. They are back in both XP and Win7 now that I did the modify install and reset the ThinPrint part.

0 Kudos
justntime
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That did it for me too. Thanks so much!

0 Kudos
ETDutch
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VERY VERY VERY big thanks. My printer is back. You're a genius.

I just don't understand why the tools installer don't do that by default ???? it's pretty basic.

So, thanks so much.

0 Kudos
dsotm1973
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No problem. I'm glad that I could help. Now, if someone could just tell me how to get my screen resolution settings to stick across reboots of Win 7, I'd have it made! :^)

Dave

0 Kudos