VMware Communities
todivefor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Windows 11 set time Fusion 13.0.1

I run W11 from paused state all the time. I have synchronize time with host set. When I restart the machine, it always has the date and time set as of last paused state and will not correct even with time set to auto within W11. The only way I can get the time set correctly is to do it manually. Sometimes even then it won't stick. I usually get the time close, then turn it to automatic within W11 and sync time. Anyone know of an easier to to keep the W11 time in sync?

Macbook Air M1, Ventura 13.5, Fusion Player 2023 TP
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Synchronizing time with host in the Fusion settings for a Windows 11 ARM VM does nothing because there isn’t a full Tools implementation in the VM. Until VMware gets ships full VMware Tools for Windows 11 ARM, you will need to manually resync the clock of a suspended Windows VM.

Also, since there is no Tools to talk between host hypervisor and guest, I personally don’t believe it to be a good idea to suspend a VM. There’s no coordination between the VM and host to prepare the VM for suspension.  It doesn’t take that long to reboot a VM that is shut down. Additionally, I recommend that you shut down a VM from within the VM and not using the Fusion menus. The VM is not performing a graceful shutdown if you use the Fusion menus. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
todivefor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I knew about tools, but was hoping for a quick work around.

I was about to call BS on shutdown vs resume. That was the main reason I stopped using UTM. I timed it, 10 seconds vs 30 seconds. I spend more time than that adjusting the time.

Thanks.

Macbook Air M1, Ventura 13.5, Fusion Player 2023 TP
0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

It’s a personal preference about suspending vs shutdown, so I’m not dogmatic about it. If it works for you w/o problems that’s great. I do hope VMware delivers tools sooner rather than later so this issue becomes a thing of the past. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos