VMware Communities
newgen
Contributor
Contributor

XP VM won't load up anymore. :(

Hi everyone,

I'm hating the fact that one of my first posts in the VMWare communities is a cry for help, but I am stuck and really hope someone out there can help me with my problem.

My WinXP Pro VM has been running fine for a while now, was running Fusion 1.1.1 for a while before the problem occured. I went to restore my VM after suspending it and it just hangs at around 95%... no error message, nothing. I even left it loading up overnight to see if it'd load, but no joy. I've tried re-installing Fusion etc, no luck. Tried all different things while restoring (e.g. disconnecting the cd/dvd drive, network etc). I'm not getting anywhere with it at all. After waiting, I've had to force quit Fusion as it stops responding. If I try to open it up again it won't allow me to load up the VM and only a restart of the MacBook Pro allows me to. If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this please let me know. I was working offline for about a week and it looks like I maybe have lost all my work!!! Smiley Sad

I already feel stupid for not backing everything up but it was just one of those times when I thought 'she'll be right'... I was wrong. So please don't make me feel any more stupid than I already do... Smiley Happy

Thanks everyone!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

First of all in the future don't forget to Backup, Backup, Backup!!! Smiley Happy

One way I know that may enable you to run the target Virtual Machine is to delete the target Virtual Machine's .vmss file.

Note: You will loose anything that was open and not already saved to disk by deleting the .vmss file although this may save you from having to rebuild the target Virtual Machine.

By default Virtual Machines are created in the "~/Documents/Virtual Machines" folder.

~ Is your Home Folder

They are placed in a Folder (Bundle Package) with an extension of ".vmwarevm" which by default the extension is not visible in Finder.

Example: "~/Documents/Virtual Machines/Windows XP SP2.vmwarevm" would in Finder just look like an icon named "Windows XP SP2"

You can view the Package Contents of the "Windows XP SP2.vmwarevm" folder by Ctrl+Click (or right-click) the "Windows XP SP2" icon and select Show Package Contents.

You would Ctrl+Click (or right-click) on the "Windows XP SP2.vmss" file and select Move to Trash then Ctrl-Click (Right-Click) on Trash Container Icon on the Dock and select Empty Trash

Note: This should be done with the target Virtual Machine shutdown and closed and not suspended.

Also have a look at the following documents as they are good reading: and .

0 Kudos
newgen
Contributor
Contributor

THANK YOU SO MUCH WOODYZ!!!

You're a lifesaver. I know that to an expert like yourself this was probably a very simple problem to diagnose/offer a solution for, but you've helped me considerably. Are you in Sydney by any chance? I owe you a few beers!

I'm taking a backup of my VM now and will read through the newbie documents Smiley Happy Thanks again.

0 Kudos