VMware Communities
mortenjensen01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yosemite killed my fusion 5 - will a hotfix be made available?

Hi all,

It seems as if Yosemite and fusion 5 are incompatible: Re: Fusion 5: Could not open /dev/vmmon:... after Yosemite installation

My question to vmware: will a hotfix be made available? You need to respond to this. I find it unsatisfactory to be forced to upgrade for this reason alone.

Morten

28 Replies
EamesEra
Contributor
Contributor

Who isn't going to upgrade to a FREE, better operating system? Given Apple's OS lifecycle this something VMware should take into account.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

And if they did, Fusion would cost $300 like Workstation.  They are a for-profit company.  Continuing to maintain old versions of software is very expensive, especially when Apple makes significant architectural changes to the underlying OS.  In the past, previous versions didn't work at all, so having 6 work on 10.10 is actually pretty good.

Again, if you don't like it, don't buy their product.  Or Parallels product (since they do the same thing).  Try using VirtualBox - it's nowhere near as functional.  But it's free.  You'll have to decide what's more important.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

EamesEra wrote: Who isn't going to upgrade to a FREE, better operating system?

I for one am not and personally I abhor the iOSifcation of OS X and for that alone I freely choose not to upgrade any further then what came on my 2013 MBP/r, OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, at this point in time.  It's not that I don't like some of the new features, although the biggest single thing I hate about OS X 10.10 is the Dock.  Apple has gone backwards with this and it's no longer a element of elegance of the UI.  We all have our quirks and I like to interface with the Dock and quite enjoy its 3D appearance and to loose that element alone and have to interface with a boring flat 1980's style interface takes away a bit of the joy in using a Mac! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
MilkyJoe
Contributor
Contributor

Every Time Apple upgrade the OS VMWARE use it as an excuse to charge users for an ugrade.

I've been caught 3 times now.

There must something deliberately built in to VMware.

This seems a bit cynical to me !

It looks like Woodyz replied to all of theses threads  urging people to upgrade with his irritating quips and cheeky winks.

What a $%$^

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hello user

While you are welcome to talk about your conspiracy theory at the forum, please refrain from getting personal as in the community terms point 3 b)

b. Treat others in the Community as you would expect them to treat you. Do not engage in personal attacks or any type of "flaming" of other users. Do not "troll," i.e., post topics or opinions that are designed to provoke a negative response from one or more specific users.

Personal remarks are not welcome here, keep the discussion focused on the product not people.

Isolating one person's reply here and expressing an opinion based on a limited number of topics that you have read is not very nice, even if you are a bit upset.

First that person is a user like yourself, not connected to VMware or working for them.

This is a community forum, in other words, users helping other users.

If you had looked a bit better then you would have seen that Woody replies to lots of posts and has helped countless of people with problems, users who are grateful for his answers.

edit:

FWIW if you want to complain about a reply from another forum user, the correct way to do so is via the "Report Abuse" button which you can find under each post, then the moderators can evaluate if an action is needed or not.

--

Wil

(volunteer user moderator for VMware communities forum)

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
parsnipz
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Wila,

I can see you're trying to help but your telling off of MilkyJoe seems a bit one sided to me.

Woody is clearly trolling by the definition provided in your handy extract from the Terms.

I have happily reported his post for as abusive.

People are feeling bullied and extorted by the corporations.

It does not seem in the community spirit to be mocking or in any way denying their right to be upset about it.

I thought it more honest to reply publicly to you rather than reporting your post as abusive behind the scenes.

Regards,

Parsnipz

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hello parsnipz,

I am aware how it looks and I agree with you that my reply could have been worded better.

However there had been a trend in personal attacks going up recently and without now going into the blame game of what/who I just had to try and stop the personal remarks. Something had to be said before things derail and get completely off topic.

For whatever it matters we also have reached out to Woody already as well but off the board.

Please let us moderators worry about keeping the forums a welcome place and focus back to the issue at hand: Fusion 5 and Yosemite.

Thanks

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

parsnipz wrote: Woody is clearly trolling by the definition provided in your handy extract from the Terms.

I have happily reported his post for as abusive.

First of all lets look at the tone of the OP and had mortenjensen01 simply asked "My question to vmware: will a hotfix be made available?" my reply would had only been "If the past is any indicator of this type of issue then no there will be no hot-fix!" however mortenjensen01 when on to say "You need to respond to this. I find it unsatisfactory to be forced to upgrade for this reason alone." which was demanding and and utterly ridiculous since the support period for VMware Fusion 5 had expired before OS X 10.10 was released.  My only intent in asking "Who forced you to upgrade to OS X 10.10 Yosemite anyway?" was to make the point that only the user has oneself to blame for upgrading without doing proper due diligence to ensure one will not have conflicts with already installed applications.  I'd say the same thing directly to anyones face standing at the Genius Bar in an Apple store too!  I have no problem being blunt about some things and as far as I'm concerned some people need to develop a thicker skin and take responsibility for one own actions before blaming VMware or calling me abusive when what I said what not as all abusive nor was there any intent to be on my part.  Contrast my reply to DLM555 Re: VMware Fusion 5.0.5 and OS X Mavericks - Pipedream?  and it was as such because he was not acting like the others where my replies have been blunt and terse on this issue.

As to MilkyJoe I look at what he said "I've been caught 3 times now." assuming three different upgrades which of course would have spanned several years yet that is his only post ever made and made on the same day he created the account.  There are quite a few post similar to his complaints towards VMware that carry the same theme, not be the first time etc. and single post on the same day the account created and this occurs with every major release cycle.  Many of the accounts and posts are intensionally created and posted simply to take shots at VMware.  The same thing happens on the Parallels forums too.  In many of these cases these posts are being made for two reasons, to polk at the manufacture and to provoke a response.  This individual has contributed absolutely nothing whatsoever to the community and while I have ruffled a few feathers that's not my intent for being here and helping the thousands of users that I have for over 10 years here and many years before that in the vmware newsgroups before VMware open the forums.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Ok, enough, I'm sorry the thread has changed into personal bickering.

Editing a few unpleasant replies, without ticking the "minor edit" checkbox, so everybody here gets the emails again is also not appreciated. You know who you are.

Locking the thread.

Please note that if you want to discuss the topic itself that "Yosemite killed Fusion 5" that you are welcome to do so here in this forum, but please open a new topic.

--

Wil

0 Kudos