VMware Communities
mikeypas
Contributor
Contributor

backup/restore VM how-to

Hi! I know this has been discussed before, and I did search, but did not find a clear answer

I would like to know the recommended way to backup my VM

a) I use Time Machine backup, but I when I restore from a time machine backup, the VM doesn't start properly (multiple disk errors, or simply cannot start at all).

I would like to know why TM doesn't backup the VM properly? I don't care about the VM changing and TM wasting a lot of space backing it up each time, I just want a reliable backup in case my system crashes.

Why should the VM be shutdown? can't it be in suspended state?

b) if for whatever reasons, TM simply won't back up my VM, can I just copy the Windows XP Home Edition.vmwarevm to my external HD ? Will this produce a reliable backup that I can just restore? Again, does it have to be shut down, or will suspend work?

c) if I'm completely OFF, please give your suggestions. Which files do I need to back up?

Thanks for your input

Mike

P.S. Running Mac OS X 10.5.8 and VMware 2.05, and WinXP Sp3 Home.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Sorry but I'm not going to get into explicit details and you can choose to accept what I say or not but what I will tell you is what I'm about to say about Time Machine is an absolute fact...

It is a known fact that Time Machine is not 100% reliable in backing up and restoring Virtual Machines under all conditions.

Therefore I would exclude the folder in which my Virtual Machines reside from being backed up by Time Machine and the best alternative that I recommend is that the Virtual Machines be shutdown, not suspended, using the controls available with in the Guest OS and then close Fusion. Next copy the Virtual Machine Package to a different physical hard drive then it currently resides.

I'm also not going to get into the merits of suspending or not suspending however suffice it to say just except the fact that aside from the fact that takes up less space and time during the copy and or restore then also in the long run it further lessens the chance of possible issues especially if the Virtual Machine is restored to a different system then it was originally created on. Additionally I have found that deleting the Applications folder that can reside within the Virtual Machine's Package also helps to eliminate various issues that can and have arisen as presented in the form in the past however if you choose not to do that it should be fine, although I always do it because it will be regenerated as needed and saves space and time during the copy and or restore as well.

0 Kudos
TobiasKracht
Expert
Expert

I can offer you to simply coy vmdk file, but not with a TM. Or thourght shared folders make a backup of Windows to host OS. Don`t use TM for, it designed for backing-up Mac OS X`s data.

StarWind Software R&D

StarWind Software R&D http://www.starwindsoftware.com
0 Kudos
mikeypas
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your replies.

So , is it the Windows XP Home Edition.vmwarevm file in the DOCUMENTS folder that needs to be copied to an external HD for a reliable backup (provided the VM is shutdown, not suspended)?

0 Kudos
mikeypas
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your replies.

So , is it the Windows XP Home Edition.vmwarevm file in the DOCUMENTS folder that needs to be copied to an external HD for a reliable backup (provided the VM is shutdown, not suspended)?

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

That's absolutely correct.

A good strategy is to use Shared or Mirrored folders. This allows Time Machine to backup your data, but not the Guest OS itself (but that's ok becuase you've already copied your vmwarevm bundle to an external drive anyway, right? Smiley Wink )

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
mikeypas
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your quick reply!

Please excuse my ignorance on this, but what is a mirrored/shared folder? and how is it set up?

thanks again

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

See:

http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/resources/#c101032

and:

http://vmwareelearning.blip.tv/file/1259375/

Also, from the Menu Bar > Help > type: 'mirror' and observe the bevy of help VMware provides you 😃

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos