VMware Communities
askywalker
Contributor
Contributor

iPhone & iPad authentication problem in 3.1

I have an iPad and iPhone that works fine from my bootcamp Win7. When I run in Fusion the sync causes trouble - it asks me to reauthenticate this computer with iTunes for my iTunes account). If I reboot in Bootcamp I can authenticate and sync, but whenever I try to do it from the VM it has trouble. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
askywalker
Contributor
Contributor

I am still struggling with this, and surprised no one else seems to be having this problem?

iPhone and iPad both sync fine when I boot in bootcamp. But when running Fusion, it connects to the phone, backs up the phone, then warns:

This computer is no longer authorized for applications that are installed on the iPad.... Would you like to authorize this computer... If you do not authorize this computer, x application, and their data, will be deleted from the iPad.

It is doing this every time I switch between bootcamp and fusion. I have 3 different store accounts, it goes through each of them.

Anyone have any ideas? Everything seems to have been installed fine (tools etc..) I am not experiencing any other problems.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I'd sort of expect to see this. The problem is that physical and virtual hardware look very different, and iTunes is noticing the change - in fact, any program which cares about tying itself to hardware will have this problem (we play some tricks to keep Windows and Office happy once you've activated in both environments, but it's a pain).

Why are you using iTunes in a Boot Camp virtual machine rather than iTunes in OS X?

askywalker
Contributor
Contributor

I have not seen a simple way to move from Windows iTunes to Mac iTunes - without losing quite a bit of data, or manually editing iTunes xml / config files...

I have two iPhones and an iPad that sync with this windows iTunes account (and a new iPhone on the way on the 24th!) - so I don't love the idea of messing things up. But if there was a clean, simple way to do it I would give it a try...

0 Kudos
askywalker
Contributor
Contributor

Hasn't anyone found a workaround or fix for this? I am in boot camp 80% of the time, but it is really annoying to not be able to connect iPhones & iPad to my mac when running Mac and VMWare Fusion...

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

Hasn't anyone found a workaround or fix for this? I am in boot camp 80% of the time, but it is really annoying to not be able to connect iPhones & iPad to my mac when running Mac and VMWare Fusion...

I imagine about 99.9% or maybe more of Mac users use iTunes on OS X to manage iPhones and iPads. To avoid dual iTunes authorizations due to Boot Camp and Fusion virtual hardware differences, I recommend migrating your iTunes Library to OS X. This Apple KB is a starter as are some google searches on the topic of moving iTunes to OS X:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1329

Sometimes the best solution to a block is go around it.

0 Kudos