VMware Communities
davidlquinn
Contributor
Contributor

mouse driver issues

I made the mistake of loading my kensington mouse works driver for windows XP into my windows XP virtual machine. It would not work correctly. I unloaded the driver, but in the device manager I see that it has reverted to the ps2 compatible mouse. the ps2 mouse does not work very well either.

How do I get my kensington mouse to work, or how do I go back to the intial mouse that was installed by vmfusion?

Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
22 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Reinstall VMware Tools

0 Kudos
jegbook
Contributor
Contributor

I am having mouse driver issues with Fusion 1.1.3 and Vista Enterprise (when using the VMWare Pointer Device driver, I cannot click inside the VM). I have found that if I go through the process to update the mouse driver, I can manually select the VMWare Pointer Device and actually switch back and forth between the PS/2 driver and the VMWare driver without having to install any software.

Woody, would this also be possible in XP without having to install all of VMWare Tools again?

Admittedly, selecting "Install VMWare Tools" from the menu is a lot easier.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Woody, would this also be possible in XP without having to install all of VMWare Tools again?

Windows XP does not employ the same methods of dealing with drives as in this case so I don't believe you can do what you're doing in Vista the same way in XP. In XP in lieu of using VMware Tools Installer to Install/Modify/Repair/Reinstall you can try manually updating the driver in Device Manager while pointing to the driver in "C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools\Drivers\mouse" however it may not work without removing the corresponding .inf file from C:\Windows\inf first.

0 Kudos
dc4444
Contributor
Contributor

I actually have a similar problem. I cannot get my LogiTech TrackBall wheel to scroll while running excel under XP under VMWare on Leopard. I installed LogiTech SetPoint (Logitech software that lets you change mouse functions) in Leopard and both SetPoint and the mouse scroll functions work fine in the Mac environment. However, I installed SetPoint under XP under VMW on Leopard, but it doesn't work -- it won't let me scroll in Excel running under XP. Then I installed SetPoint on XP running native on my MacBook Pro, and everything works (but that's not how I want to run, it was just a test). So then when I reboot Leopard and run Excel on XP under VMWare, neither SetPoint or the mouse scroll work. Everything points to VMWare as the problem, as if it doesn't support the Logitech trackball or its software. So then I reinstalled VMWare Tools -- but I can't figure out what that does to help my problem. Furthermore, the only VMWare preferences choice I could find is that of "Enable MAC OS mouse shortcuts" -- I can't use that because it cripples several very important excel features not related to the trackball scroll problem. I am stuck.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Everything points to VMWare as the problem, as if it doesn't support the Logitech trackball or its software.

VMware Fusion is not the problem per-se as VMware Fusion by design presents a standard PS/2 mouse to the Virtual Machine and at the present time does not support the Logitech trackball software in the same manner as running it natively. In other words if you were using the Apple mouse that came with your Mac it would work as a standard PS/2 mouse with VMware Tools installed.

Message was edited by: WoodyZ

Changed "3 button mouse: to "PS/2 mouse"

While a PS/2 mouse was originally a 2 button mouse a 3 button (2 buttons and a scroll wheel or ball) typically will work however within the constraints of the VMware Pointing Device Driver.

I have no problem using a 3 button mouse in Windows having left/right click and horizontal/vertical scrolling in apps like IE or Excel using VMware's Driver.

0 Kudos
davidlquinn
Contributor
Contributor

does not work by just pointing to the mentioned directory for the

driver--please be more specific about how to do it with the .inf file.

thanks

david quinn

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

does not work by just pointing to the mentioned directory for the driver--please be more specific about how to do it with the .inf file.

I told you it probably wouldn't! Smiley Happy

In order for it to update the drive when doing it manually you have to remove the appropriate .inf file from the C:\Windows\inf folder. The inf folder is hidden by default. You would search using ".inf" as the file name while searching for the text string "VMware Pointing Device" (without the quotes) and you need to set the "More advanced options" as in the attached picture. The file will be named "oem.inf" where the "" is a numeric value. Just delete it and then update the driver via Device Manager.

File Attached: "VMware_Pointing_Device_INF_Search.png"

0 Kudos
dc4444
Contributor
Contributor

This raises several questions: I did not get a mouse with my mac, I got a trackpad. And it does not scroll in excel (under xp under vmw under osx). Does the Apple mouse of which you write have a scroll function? Can the MacBook Pro trackpad be made to scroll in excel under xp under vmw under oxs?

Further, the whole idea of using a Logitech trackball is to take advantage of the particular ergonomics of the device, i.e. using the thumb instead of other muscles; for whatever reason, I grew up with and have developed a facility for working with this trackball that I cannot duplicate with other devices (even other trackballs use fingers instead of the thumb). Is it the case that vmw does not and will not support this functionality? Perhaps my market segment is too small to warrant support -- sad for me if true, but at least I want to know.

0 Kudos
davidlquinn
Contributor
Contributor

i just reinstalled the vmware toolsthat solved the problemfrom what i

can see, the only mouse driver that will work is the vmware driver. is that

correct?

no way to use my kensington drivers that came with the mouse?

also, i'm having an issue with not being able to print from the virtual

machine side via bluetooth--the mac side works fine & the windows side did

work initially, but does not now. all i can think of is that i reloaded the

vmware tools--would that have done anything to stop the bluetooth from

working?

thanks

david l quinn

0 Kudos
davidlquinn
Contributor
Contributor

THREE BUTTONS? WHERE WOULD I FIND THE CONTROL FOR 3 BUTTONS? I CAN ONLY

FIND THE MOUSE CONTOLS IN THE WINDOWS CONTROL PANEL. THERE IT ONLY LETS YOU

CONTROL 2 BUTTONS. IT WOULD BE NICE TO USE AT LEAST 3 OF THE 4 THAT MY

MOUSE HAS.

THANKS

DAVID L QUINN

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Well now not only does your mouse not work it looks like your keyboard is broken.

0 Kudos
davidlquinn
Contributor
Contributor

well you are partly right--i find that when i'm in the virtual machine side,

some programs come up lower case when i have caps on & some come up in caps

when i have lower case selected. sorry for the caps--so i'll re-ask the

questions in lower case---

three buttons? where would i find the control for 3 buttons? i can only

find the mouse contols in the windows control panel. there it only lets you

control 2 buttons. it would be nice to use at least 3 of the 4 that my

mouse has.

thanks

david l quinn

0 Kudos
dc4444
Contributor
Contributor

Woody, you say you have no problem using a 3b in Windows and scrolling in IE or Excel, but I do -- my month-old MacBook Pro with its imbedded trackpad scrolls just fine under OSX, but it will not scroll in Windows under VMW in either Excel or IE. Does anyone have a working MacBook running vmw/XP with a successfully scrolling imbedded trackpad?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

In Windows XP I can scroll vertically but not horizontally with the Trackpad on my MBP.

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

Scrolling works for me as well. MBP (2008) built-in trackpad scrolls vertical, but not horizontal, in all my VMs. (XP w/MSOffice 2002 & Vista w/MSOffice 2007.)

0 Kudos
dc4444
Contributor
Contributor

I apparently cannot do either vertical or horizontal scrolling. Do I

have something set up incorrectly perhaps? Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Mac OS X System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse > Trackpad > Trackpad Gestures: > Use two fingers to scroll check box

0 Kudos
dc4444
Contributor
Contributor

I have had the scroll box checked all along. I also had secondary

click and screen zoom checked all along. I unchecked the latter two

and had no change -- still no scroll in xp. Do I need to reboot xp or

vmw? Should I uninstall the Logitech drivers (this would of course

diminish native xp trackball performance)?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I uninstall the Logitech drivers (this would of course diminish native xp trackball performance)?

If you still have a third-party driver installed then that may well be the cause of not being able to, at least, scroll vertically. It is my understanding that one can either use the default driver installed during installation of Windows or use the VMware mouse driver and beyond that there is no support for this particular issue.

0 Kudos