VMware Communities
d0wntime
Contributor
Contributor

strange network config issue

I just physically jacked into my network at home for the first time since upgrading, and even though my VM was set to be bridged with the built-in ethernet interface, it couldn't see anything or get a DHCP response until I told it to autodetect which interface to use with bridging?!

-peter

0 Kudos
4 Replies
anic01
Contributor
Contributor

hey this sounds similar to my issue! Im getting slow internet through fusion 3 in win 7. When i try to startup with network adapter bridged i get a msg on the screen at bootup saying DHCP not detected! could this be the source of my problem?? how did you get it to autodetect DHCP??

0 Kudos
anujmodi1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

don't know bout which product you are talking about. but yeah you need to check the DHCP server is running properly to provide the ip address to your machine. otherwise restart the service and check if you are able to get the ip address.

Anuj Modi,

If you found my answer to be useful, feel free to mark it as Helpful or Correct.

The latest blogs and articles on Virtulization:

http://communities.vmware.com/blogs/amodi

Anuj Modi, If you found my answer to be useful, feel free to mark it as Helpful or Correct. The latest blogs and articles on Virtulization: anujmodi.wordpress.com
0 Kudos
d0wntime
Contributor
Contributor

If you're not getting a DHCP address and don't have a valid address on your local subnet by some other means, you should be getting NO internet rather than slow internet.

This appears to be a bug, as the slick new configuration option to choose the bridging adapter was on my personal wish list ... thanks, VMware. Sadly, there appears to be a bug of some sort associated with it.

-p.ter

0 Kudos
d0wntime
Contributor
Contributor

Not helpful. What other product could I be talking about?

This is the new VMware Fusion 3.0 with a Windows XP Professional SP 3 guest VM.

Thanks, the DHCP server was working just fine, and serving addresses to other VMs just fine ... just not to my XP VM using the built-in ethernet interface when that is specified as the interface to use with bridging. This persists, and is consistently repeatable.

-peter

0 Kudos