VMware Cloud Community
eariasn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

WIndows 2008 provisioning

Hello folks,

I have deployed VIO 2.0, running on a set of ESXi 5.5 (no update 2 ), Ubuntu provisioning works fine, however Windows provisioning enters a loop where it goes provision the VM, then it deletes it, starts provisioning again, all the way until it eventually times out saying that no valid host was found.

I am lost here, any help would be appreciated.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jmgriffes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Did you fill anything in on the Architecture section? I had a similar problem with a Linux VM (Ubuntu I believe) because I said it was x86_64.

You also need to make sure that the Storage adapter is set to "LSI Logic SAS", otherwise Windows gets freaked out.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jmgriffes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Did you fill anything in on the Architecture section? I had a similar problem with a Linux VM (Ubuntu I believe) because I said it was x86_64.

You also need to make sure that the Storage adapter is set to "LSI Logic SAS", otherwise Windows gets freaked out.

0 Kudos
eariasn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It kind of was that, mainly I think it was a problem with way this works, I was checking the Vsphere console too soon, it provisioned well after all, but it is definitely a daunting task to have the image ready with all the stuff for openstack (cloud-init in particular )

I think VMware could make a catalog to get them in OVA anyway.

thank you for looking into it.

cheers!

EA

admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What image format where you using? And could you expand on suggestion to improve the image upload/boot? I want to make this really seamless to upload any image and consume in VIO.

In 2.0 we have added automatic converstion of qcow2 images. We also automatically introspect images for disk adapter and other related properties.

0 Kudos
eariasn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So the process I followed was that I created the VM in regular vSphere, loaded cloud-init, sysprep it and finally converted it to OVA, then load it into glance and launch.

About the catalog, so let's say that you have an image totally customized for VIO running on  ESXI hypervisors, we can have that available to download and just change it with your own license.

0 Kudos