VMware Networking Community
avarcher
Commander
Commander

NSX-T 3.2 on vSphere 7u3c Hugepage issues on Edge VMs.

I'm building (not upgrading) a nested lab environment as follows:

NSX-T Datacenter 3.2
vSphere 7 update 3c

However all Edge VM deployments fail:
Host configuration: Failed to send the HostConfig message. [TN=TransportNode/29bb8107-35ce-441c-aa4c-e60a25784b40]. Reason: Mac address for a vnic fp-eth0 is not found on edge node /infra/sites/default/enforcement-points/default/edge-transport-node/29bb8107-35ce-441c-aa4c-e60a25784b40.

And the Edge reports:
ERROR: NSX Edge configuration has failed. 1G hugepage support required

The VM does not register with the uplink port group (The one showing Link Up is a VM I moved there to check out the port group.)

avarcher_0-1645118655474.png

The issue applies to VLAN and Overlay, it seems to be an issue with FastPath/DPDK/HugePages.

The hosting environment uses Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 5120 CPU @ 2.20GHz with EVC set to Intel "Sandy Bridge" Generation. This environment has supported an NSX 3.0 on vSphere 7 GA successfully - edge deployments with these versions deploy successfuly.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

21 Replies
TryllZ
Expert
Expert

I have got it working.

I had a 2nd Nested ESXi VM Cluster, the changes I had done on the 2nd Cluster Nested ESXi VMs were adding :

featMask.vm.cpuid.pdpe1gb (small caps) = Val:1 (on each Nested ESXi VM)

monitor_control.enable_fullcpuid = "TRUE" (on each Nested ESXi VM)

Rebooted the physical bare metal ESXi as well.

The new NSX Edge instance started working soon after reboot.

0 Kudos
mikechopkins123
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

That worked for me after I also added:

Expose HW assisted acceleration to the Guest OS 

Edit VM settings, CPU, <check off> Expose HW assisted acceleration to the Guest OS 

I did not need to put the cluster in EVC mode (this VM is on a nested ESXi host)