VMware Networking Community
FengyuanLiu
Contributor
Contributor

This is a problem with Tier 0 uplink

I am using VMware Workstation Pro to create a test environment for my NSX-T on a workstation at home. I found a problem. I don’t want to use the VLAN type segment created by NSX-T. I want to use a normal port group. As Tier 0 uplink, can this be achieved?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@FengyuanLiu 

Moderator: Good to see you realised you should post this as a discussions and not as a document. Your document has now been archived.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
engyak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sort of. VLAN tagging is part of an internal check within Edge transport nodes - to ensure that you're setting up your networking properly. You can pass this untagged as a standard dvPortGroup, but you will still have to create a vn-segment in NSX-T with a VLAN tag of 0, so you're not really getting out of any work by doing so.

I'd propose a slightly better approach - leverage a VNF like VyOS or FRR (or if you can get it, Cisco's cloud router) and just directly connect them with a dvPortGroup, and handle the tagging exclusively between those VMs if you prefer simplicity. You need something to peer BGP to anyway, and it will keep the lab decently self-contained.

Beyond that we might need to know more about your motivation to do this.

0 Kudos
FengyuanLiu
Contributor
Contributor

1. Sorry, I didn't describe it clearly. My environment is esxi7 version, and NSX switch uses VDS distributed switch instead of NVDS.
2. You mentioned that using dvPortGroup as Tier0's uplink transmission traffic, after adding an uplink port in Tier0, you cannot connect to dvPortGroup. I don't know if you found this problem
I found that in the case of VDS, creating a VLAN type logical switch in NSX-T does not use VLAN0.
3. I used Vyos as the BGP peer of Tier0 some time ago, but found that the IP addresses directly connected between Vyos and Tier0 cannot communicate normally. Of course, I will continue to study the BGP configuration of Vyos and Tier0 in my experimental environment. .
4. Thank you very much for the Cisco Cloud Router you mentioned. Let me know about the new things. I wonder if I can share the installation files with me.

0 Kudos
engyak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

On the VDS(Host) side, you will want to create a dvPortGroup that is of type "Trunk" to allow multiple VLANs. 

Secondly, you will have to create another vn-segment under NSX-T to accommodate the individual tag from there (even if it's VLAN 0). Using these in this combination should allow Layer 2/3 connectivity to flow, but it will not do so unless you have both port-groups configured and properly terminated. When configuring the Edge Transport Node, you'll want to assign the dvPortGroup to fp-eth0

0 Kudos