VMware Cloud Community
subarathi04
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

List all VM's that are not Enable with AutoStartUP

Hi All,

I am looking for a script to list all VM's in VC which are not enable with AutoStartup when ESX host powered on. Can anyone help me to create a script.

Regards,

Boopathy S

17 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Try something like this

foreach($esx in Get-VMHost){

$vmNotEnabled = $null

if($esx.ExtensionData.Config.AutoStart.Defaults.Enabled){

$autoVM =  $esx.ExtensionData.Config.AutoStart.PowerInfo | where{$_.STartAction -eq 'PowerOn'} | Select -ExpandProperty Key   

$vmNotEnabled = $esx.ExtensionData.Vm | where{$autoVM -notcontains $_} | %{Get-View -Id $_ -Property Name | Select -ExpandProperty Name}

}

$esx | Select Name,

@{N='AutoStart Enabled';E={$esx.ExtensionData.Config.AutoStart.Defaults.Enabled}},

@{N='VMs no AutoStart';E={$vmNotEnabled -join '|'}}

}

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
subarathi04
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi LucD,

Thanks for the reply, i have a question. Do i need to execute towards Vcenter or this for single Host?

Regards,

Boopathy S

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

You connect to the vCenter

0 Kudos
subarathi04
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, really excellent and it's working... then how can i get the output in CSV file.

0 Kudos
subarathi04
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi LucD,

It's working, but providing only the Host which are enabled with AutoStart, can you help to get VM details on all host.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Try like this

$report = foreach($esx in Get-VMHost){

$autoVM =  $esx.ExtensionData.Config.AutoStart.PowerInfo | where{$_.STartAction -eq 'PowerOn'} | Select -ExpandProperty Key   

$vmNotEnabled = $esx.ExtensionData.Vm | where{$autoVM -notcontains $_} | %{Get-View -Id $_ -Property Name | Select -ExpandProperty Name}

$esx | Select Name,

@{N='AutoStart Enabled';E={$esx.ExtensionData.Config.AutoStart.Defaults.Enabled}},

}

$report | Export-Csv c:\VM-autostart.csv -NoTypeInformation -UseCulture

subarathi04
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi LucD,

Below is the Error received for above code,

Export-Csv : Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

At C:\Users\Documents\Scripts\VMWARE\AutoEnable1.ps1:15 char:21

+ $report | Export-Csv <<<<  C:\Users\Documents\Scripts\VMWARE\VM-autostart.csv -NoTypeInformation -UseCulture

+ CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Export-Csv], NullReferenceException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.NullReferenceException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.ExportCsvCommand

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Looks like $report is empty.

Can you show the complete script you have running ?

Or perhaps run the script without the capture in the $report variable. Does that produce results ?

$esx | Select Name,

}

subarathi04
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes the above script getting results, but on VM's No AutoStart colum VM names are piped if the names exceeds 2 it's displaying like ............

Example:  XXXXXXYYYYYYZZZZZ | XXXXXXYYYYYYZZZZZZ | XXXX................. - here some security reason it is mentioned XYZ for VM name's

Apart this your script rocks..... Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Since we can't display an array with the Select-Object cmdlet, the script creates one string of all the names with the Join function.

You can change the Join separator with whatever character you want.

The partial display of some fields on the screen, is due to the fact that the PowerShell output engine has to work with a limited line length.

If you redirect the result to a CSV, you will see the complete field in the file.

0 Kudos
subarathi04
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I tried to get output in .txt and csv but results are same....:smileyconfused:

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

With an Export-Csv cmdlet ?

Did you do it like this ?

Remember, a ForEach doesn't place any objects in the pipeline, so you have to capture the output created within the ForEach loop in a variable.

And then you can pipe that variable to the Export-Csv cmdlet.

$report = foreach($esx in Get-VMHost){

$esx | Select Name,

}

$report | Export-Csv report.csv -NoTypeInformation -UseCulture

0 Kudos
subarathi04
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am getting same error as below for above script also it's not producing any results.

+ $report | Export-Csv <<<<  report.csv -NoTypeInformation -UseCulture

+ CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Export-Csv], NullReferenceException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.NullReferenceException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.ExportCsvCommand

Tried using > Report.txt and report.csv both are not getting any results.

I can manage to get Host alone using your script with some modification,

$esx | Select Name,

@{N='AutoStart Enabled';E={$esx.ExtensionData.Config.AutoStart.Defaults.Enabled}}

}

Attached screenshot of script.Script.png

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

I tried multiple ways, but I can't reproduce your issue.

How, and from where, do you launch the script ?

A screenshot would be handy.

subarathi04
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I really appreciate your efforts on this, I am launching this script from my Terminal server powercli by connecting VCenter using command Connect-VIServer.

Then i am executing this script.

Not producing any results ending with below error.

Screen2.png

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

That looks ok, no idea what might be going wrong.

More so since it works in my environment.

Can you attach your .ps1 file as a file to the is thread ?

On a side note, the PowerCLI version you are using is quite old.

Any specific reason you stay on this old version ?

0 Kudos
subarathi04
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi LucD,

Sorry for late reply, at last it working and i am able to get what i want through your script.

What went wrong?.... Power CLI version having some issues on getting correct report.

I have upgraded Power CLI now it's getting reports in CSV.

Thanks a lot for your kind help... Smiley HappyHeart

0 Kudos