VMware Communities
mcomp72
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Problem opening VMware after upgrading from 15 to 17

I had installed VMware Player 15 on my computer about 5 years ago. I hadn't needed it for the last couple of years, so haven't opened it since about mid-2021. I just went to use it (was going to install a VM of Linux Mint) and decided I'd upgrade to VMware Player 17 first. I did, and it seemed to upgrade successfully. But since doing it, I can't get VMware to open. When I double-click the icon on my desktop, it gives me between 1-3 error messages. (Sometimes I see all three, and other times I only see one or two of them.)

#1:

Window title: vmplayer.exe - Entry Point Not Found

Message: The procedure entry point VMEncryptor_getEncryptedPassword could not be located in the dynamic link library C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Player\vmplayer.exe.

#2:

Message: The procedure entry point HostCPU_IsMixedSteppings could not be located in the dynamic link library C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Player\vmwarecui.dll.

#3:

Message: The procedure entry point Guess_GetOsKey could not be located in the dynamic link library C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Player\vmwarewui.dll.

I have no idea what to do now. Anyone have any suggestions?  I have considered uninstalling VMware completely and then reinstalling v17, but I worry that I will lose one of the VM's I had created in v15.  There's one that I would still like to have access to, but if I uninstall, I don't know how I would ever access it again. (My experience with VMware is somewhat limited, so I'm far from being an expert at it.)

By the way, I'm on Windows 10 Home.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mcomp72
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I also posted about this issue on Reddit, and one response suggested I uninstall VMware, reboot, reinstall VMware, and reboot again.  I did, and it worked.  I no longer receive the error messages, and VMware opens properly.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
mcomp72
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I also posted about this issue on Reddit, and one response suggested I uninstall VMware, reboot, reinstall VMware, and reboot again.  I did, and it worked.  I no longer receive the error messages, and VMware opens properly.

0 Kudos