VMware Communities
KS_RF
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 10 host freezes when starting a VMware player V16 guest system

Since today ( I think) my Windows 10 (64 bit) host freezes complete when I try to start any VMware application.

CPU and harddisk do nothing...

The event viewer shows nothing..

The only way to get the host back to run is rebooting the laptop.

Any Idea what can cause this?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@KS_RF 

Moderator: Moved to Workstation Player Discussions

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
RaSystemlord
Expert
Expert

Perhaps not in the correct order of execution, but:

It would help to know the history of this case, but as a general comment, Remove Software and Install again, should be tried ... yet, depending on what the history was.

Also, what is the VM computer and where is it?

In VM config, I hope you are not trying to allocate more memory than what the Host can offer - minus what the Host needs itself. You should NEVER allocate too much for the VM - if you do, Host can freeze.

0 Kudos
KS_RF
Contributor
Contributor

The history of the system is that it is working with V15 for over a year without issues, and updated to V16 about a month ago, also without issues.

First thing I did when I had this issue was a repair, this didn't solve the issue, then I reinstalled the software, and this didn't solve the issue also.

The VM computers are Windows 7-64 bit and Windows XP both on the second harddisk of my laptop.

The laptop has 32 Gb Ram, the W7 has 20 Gb and the XP has 4 Gb.

Even when I tryi to start only the XP machine I got this freeze issue.

0 Kudos
KS_RF
Contributor
Contributor

I just restored the laptop to a date somewhere last week, and now everything seems to work fine again.

To be honest, I thing the problem will pop-up again....

0 Kudos
RaSystemlord
Expert
Expert

It is a bit of a mystery then. Your description doesn't involve any problem areas that I could think of.

There are some reasons why a system can freeze, none of which directly VMware related. Some of these may be speculative reasons:

1. If you have automatic disk defragmentation on, it will freeze the disk until a single file is defragmented. Now that VMware has large files, this is a bad thing.

If you are using a VM with a single file, like a 40 GB file, this is a really bad thing. If you do not have a specific reason for a single file user - like a requirement to access an Oracle tablespace file quickly - you should use 2 GB splits for virtual disk files or something similar ... and not do automatic defrag.

2. Not sure what every antivirus software does, but they could do something to lock a disk when an individual file scanning is under way. In this case, you would need to exclude VMware disk files.

3. Hard disk failures can easily hang the system. If you have SMART data available, try checking with that.

Ideally, during the first 2 items, the entire system should not hang - not sure if Windows can handle those situations or not. The latter will surely cause a hang of the Windows system.

As a tip, if your system has USB-3 interface, which I think it does, an external USB-3 SATA (inexpensive) or a better NVMe SATA (inexpensive) or even NVMe M.2 -disk (more expensive) would give you very good performance. It would be better than an internal hard disk.

0 Kudos
KS_RF
Contributor
Contributor

The main and second harddisks are both M.2 types...

Still have a lack of performance.... I've no idea why, tried all kind of settings like different RAM settings and different CPU core settings.

Any tips are welkom!

0 Kudos
RaSystemlord
Expert
Expert

With BIOS, you need to enable virtualization. It wasn't required before (in the regular 64-bit case) ... although, in my systems, it doesn't even work without this, I mean with 16.x.

In VM, there are also virtualization settings. For Win 7, I have enabled both. For Win 10, only the "virtualize performance counters" is checked.

Not sure what these need to be and why, but those have worked.

0 Kudos
darksidemaze
Contributor
Contributor

When something like this happens, I'd start with the HW, then Windows, then the app causing the problem. 

So is the baremetal firmware ie your laptop all up to date, like bios, hd controllers, usb controllers, Intel ME if its an Intel CPU, TPM?

Why? Here's an example of how to make malware on firmware persistent so it doesnt matter how many times you reinstall windows! Sprites mods - Hard disk hacking - Persistence

Its also worth checking your TPM is upto date and for any bug which cant be fixed. If its out of date or buggy, I disable it in the BIOS and let windows do the heavy lifting instead of the TPM chip. Windows will emulate so at least you are upto date by using windows. Obviously entropy will vary though and other risks present themselves, so the call disable the TPM in BIOS is personal.

Then check Windows OS is all up to date, so for Win10: Settings, Update & Security, Windows Update, Advanced Options. 

On - Receive updates for other MS products  

This way all your MS software bases are covered, even if you dont have Office installed, there's plenty of other MS non OS software installed in mosts use cases unless you are corporate.

Then check the logs for VMware. You can always post them on here, but no guarantee anyone will look at them as this is the charitable section of VMware. 🙂 The VM logs are fairly intuitive, so scanning them can hilight quickly and easily where the problem is. 

When posting logs, it pays to remove any identifiable data for a variety of reasons. There are so many ways to track people with web browsers one example as noted by this white paper solomos-ndss21.pdf (uic.edu) and if interested here is how you can nick someone's AES key from a military grade chip in 0.01 seconds, but it does require physical access but fortunately not alot of time to do, so something the office cleaners could be adept at. In the blink of an eye: There goes your AES key (cam.ac.uk)

Anyway good luck.

0 Kudos
RaSystemlord
Expert
Expert

That is right of course that this can be hardware related.

There is one specific reason why it could appear as application related, but it is really hardware specific.

When you open up applications in Windows (Host is Windows), it will reserve memory in certain order. Now that you open VMware, your situation might be that nothing else requires such a high memory consumption and you think that it is VMware that fails.

How to test memory, well, a bit outside the scope here, but in principle:

- find a test-CD. Every Ubuntu distro includes memory tester, but there are many others (requires a boot to the memory test). The logic is that, if that does find a problem, there certainly is a problem. If it does NOT find a problem, there still can be a problem

- switch memory chips back and forth to find out, what fails. Perhaps not a very quick way.

- memory bank can also be faulty, which makes testing even more burdensome

The above is for Windows physical computer. For Linux, memory allocation does not happen that way and the computer can fail at any time. Memory tester is the same, of course.

0 Kudos