VMware Communities
JamesStewartnyc
Contributor
Contributor

17.5.1 update and the old vmx86.sys version error

I allowed the software to run the update from within its own updater. Upon reboot I find I can't launch any VMs because of the ol' "Version mismatch with vmx86 driver" error. It seems like this is a problem that just won't go away even after all these years. 

Brilliantly, I cannot run the "repair" function from the Windows Control Panel's Programs menu because what's installed is incapable of asking for elevated privileges in order to do so.  Accordingly, the attempt fails.

JamesStewartnyc_0-1709158208061.png

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
JamesStewartnyc
Contributor
Contributor

oh, after being forced to give up my personal information (without any opt-out) and agreeing to share my information with your "affiliates" for marketing purposes.... as well as overcoming a badly broken CAPTCHA, I was eventually able to download the update from your website and re-run that to fix the issue. 

(and currently it says I'm not signed in? brilliant, Broadcom...)

Now if anyone can point me to where I can opt-out of having my personal info sold that would be great.

rbngan01
Contributor
Contributor

You are not kidding getting registered is a pain!.  Did you ever get this fixed?  If so can you detail what you did.  I get the same error: "Version mismatch with vmx86 driver: expecting 416.0, got 308.0. You have an incorrect version of driver 'vmx86.sys'. Try reinstalling VMware Player. Failed to initialize monitor device. ".  I also can't use the "repair" option and when I downloaded the 17.5 it also would not install even though I am an admin.  What a pain that ever time I upgrade VMWare I get this type of error and have to spend days looking for a fix!. I'm sick and tired of VMware not being able to get upgrades right!.  Your help is appreciated.

0 Kudos
rbngan01
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, after searching I finally found the file correct file  (they don't make it easy) Here it is: 17.5.1 build-23298084.

I went to products, VMware Workstation Player, then Download for free, then downloaded VMware Workstation Player 17.5.1

Here is the link

https://customerconnect.vmware.com/en/downloads/details?downloadGroup=WKST-PLAYER-1751&productId=137...

After a reinstall as administrator it works.  Why it takes two times to install a file for an upgrade is beyond understanding.  Please VMWare get it right next time. 

JamesStewartnyc Thanks for starting the thread and getting me pointed in the right direction.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
chaimsimcha
Contributor
Contributor

I think it's time to ditch the expensive, licensed vmware and go with virtual box instead.  This is so ridiculous.  Is there a product manager? Who does the QA on this product?  Does it even get QAed at all?  What kind of weed are the devs smoking?  Apparently not the right kind because this just keeps happening over and over again and again ad infinitum, ad nauseum ad bullsh1ttium.  

0 Kudos
DhairyaT
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@JamesStewartnyc Requesting you to share the support bundle of the affected VM in this thread which is not getting powered on using below steps-

Help->Support->Collect Support Data

0 Kudos