VMware Communities
nigcro
Contributor
Contributor

Internet connection disappears in the guest OS

Dear Support Team,

I am writing to you regarding an issue I am experiencing with VMware Workstation 17 Pro. After approximately five hours of continuous use of virtual machines in the guest system, the internet connection is lost. Interestingly, the application continues to function, but if I exit and try to reopen it, the internet connection does not restore. The only solution to the problem is to restart the host, as rebooting the virtual machine does not help.

I am using VMware Workstation 17 Pro version 17.5.1 build-23298084 on a computer running windows 10 ltsc. The network adapter on my computer is an Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz. I have updated the network card driver to the latest version available on the official Intel website (version 23.30.0.6, driver date January 21, 2024).

The problem occurs only on my computer, while on another computer with similar software and VMware Workstation, no issues are observed.

When attempting to use Windows troubleshooting tools, the following message is displayed: "Problems found: The DNS server isn't responding."

The operating system of both the host server and guest system is 17763.107.101029 LTSC.

I have already taken the following steps to troubleshoot the problem:

Updated the network card driver to the latest version;
Checked antivirus software and firewall settings - no conflicts were found.

However, none of these steps have led to a resolution of the issue.

I would appreciate your assistance in resolving this problem. Please provide guidance or suggest further steps that may help resolve it.

Best regards,
Karel Klim

0 Kudos
2 Replies
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

This is not a support team site, it is users to users. 

Are the VM's bridged or NAT? Is the host getting an IP from a router via DHCP or static?

Describe your environment before and after failure. 

What is the result of ipconfig/all on both the host and a VM? (before and after). 

When you "lose Internet" can you ping the host? The router (if bridged)? Can you ping 8.8.8.8?

0 Kudos
DhairyaT
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@nigcro Please upgrade to latest Workstation version 17.5.1 and update if issue still exists.

0 Kudos