VMware Communities
uy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

2.6.40-4.fc15.x86_64 Fedora Core 15 won't complile workstation 7.1.4 modules?

Does any one encounter what I did?

# Logging to /tmp/vmware-root/setup-2650.log
/usr/share/themes/Clearlooks/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:80: error: unexpected identifier `colorize_scrollbar', expected character `}'
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module vmmon
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module vmnet
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module vmblock
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module vmci
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module vsock
Fontconfig error: "conf.d", line 1: no element found
Fontconfig warning: line 73: unknown element "cachedir"
Fontconfig warning: line 74: unknown element "cachedir"
Stopping vmware (via systemctl):                           [  OK  ]
Using 2.6.x kernel build system.
make: Entering directory `/tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmmon-only'                                                                               
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.40-4.fc15.x86_64/build/include/.. SUBDIRS=$PWD SRCROOT=$PWD/. \                                                     
  MODULEBUILDDIR= modules                                                                                                                    
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.40-4.fc15.x86_64'                                                                          
  CC [M]  /tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmmon-only/linux/driver.o                                                                                 
/tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:783:59: error: ‘SPIN_LOCK_UNLOCKED’ undeclared here (not in a function)                   
make[2]: *** [/tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmmon-only/linux/driver.o] Error 1                                                                    
make[1]: *** [_module_/tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmmon-only] Error 2                                                                           
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.40-4.fc15.x86_64'                                                                           
make: *** [vmmon.ko] Error 2                                                                                                                 
make: Leaving directory `/tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmmon-only'                                                                                

[1]+  Exit 1                  vmware 

# uname -a                                                                                                                        
Linux uy 2.6.40-4.fc15.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Jul 29 18:46:53 UTC 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I am using this:

VMware-Workstation-Full-7.1.0-261024.x86_64.bundle

u.y.
0 Kudos
9 Replies
uy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just to add that uninstall and reinstall will not help.

:smileyconfused:

u.y.
0 Kudos
VMStreak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I encountered the same problem recently. I upgraded to latest workstation builds & the problem disappeared.

You may also want to look at http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.general/398267

PS: Please award points if any of the above information is useful.
0 Kudos
pitonyak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Off hand, I would say this is because as of August 25, 2011, VMWare Player can no longer compile the kernal stuff on 64-bit Fedora 15.... Will see if I can find a solution.

0 Kudos
pitonyak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

OK, go here if you want to read about it:

http://weltall.heliohost.org/wordpress/2011/05/14/running-vmware-workstation-player-on-linux-2-6-39-...

Bottom line is this:

1. download this: http://weltall.heliohost.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/vmware2.6.39patchv3.tar.bz2

2. Expand the tar file

3. Run: patch-modules_2.6.39.sh

4. Finally, run vmplayer and this will build.

Yuck! That said, seems to work!

0 Kudos
chevitasXD
Contributor
Contributor

Men the problem here is that the vmplayer under /usr/bin isn't a link to /usr/lib/vmware/ so it can't find those modules

Just remove /usr/bin/vmplayer and add a link to /usr/bin/ -> /usr/lib/vmware/vmplayer and he would now find in it's execution path the files. The SOLVES the problem of no compilation.

The only thing i haven't figured out is the cachedir problem that seems to be in every Linux :S

Message was edited by: chevitasXD

0 Kudos
ody04
Contributor
Contributor

Well this does not solve the problem, I have been trying to work out on Fedora 15 (to be precise 2.6.40.4-5.fc15.i686) for about 2 nights now and still no luck. It seems like linux distribution has some significant changes which are causing vmware drivers fail to compile due to some depricated apis.

0 Kudos
chevitasXD
Contributor
Contributor

there is this patch, the solution is described in spanish though, but it worked for me Smiley Happy, so here is this link http://xenodesystems.blogspot.com/2011/08/solucion-unable-to-install-vmmon-fedora.html , this guys explains it well Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
uy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

2.6.41.4-1.fc15.x86_64

I updated to the above (new) kernel today

VMware Worikstation  (VMware-Workstation-Full-8.0.1-528992.x86_64.bundle) already compliled itself and worked.

Smiley Happy

u.y.
0 Kudos
psyk
Contributor
Contributor

Excellent!  Did you need to apply any patches to the new kernel ( 2.6.41.4-1.fc15 ) to get it compile?

Or did you just run up VMware-Workstation-Full-8.0.1-528992.x86_64.bundle and it worked?

0 Kudos