VMware Communities
SingDeep
Contributor
Contributor

Basic question to toggle out of the VM workstation.

Hello, I am new to VMWare Workstation. This is a very basic question - in a way I feel very dumb for asking this - I did try to find the answer on my own and for whatever reason I couldn't find it in the docs. I have a VMWare desktop instance running and I have Windows XP installed on it.

How do I toggle out of it? My mouse is "stuck" in the XP instance. I am certain that I'm missing something very basic here.

I am running on top of Windows 7 and I want to be able to pull my mouse out of the XP OS. What doc do I need to read to understand this?

Any help would be appreciated - my email is tntobey@gmail.com

I am typing this message from within XP and I don't know how to get out of here!

Thank you!

-Tom Tobey

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ScottBentley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi Tom to toggle out of the VM you can use the left Ctrl and Alt keys simultainiously

I hope this helps

I hope this helps
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Ctrl+Alt

It's in the Manual under Chapter 3 Learning Workstation Basics > Keyboard Shortcuts

ScottBentley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Also if you install the VMware tools in the guest the mouse will move in and out of the guest OS freely without the need for the Ctrl Alt keys, it will also make the mouse movements smoother. as well as a number of other benefits

I hope this helps

I hope this helps
0 Kudos
SingDeep
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Scott and Woody, this worked. I really appreciate your quick answers. I was able to install the VMWare tools. Thank you, thank you! Hopefully I clicked the right buttons on "helpful answers."

-Tom Tobey

0 Kudos