VMware Communities
PenguinBelly
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cannot mount a disk image in a VM

I am unable to use ISO files in the guest.  The "Mount" context menu does not show up for ISO files.

ISO Bug 3.png

In another VM on the same host, ISO files behave as expected.  (Note "Mount" context menu)

ISO Mount.png

How do I get the "Mount" context menu back in the first VM?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The functionality to mount an ISO file as a file system is built into Windows and has no dependency on Fusion.

I've noticed that your screen shot at the beginning of this thread is saying the file type of your ISO file is "Windows.isoFile" file. It should say "Disk Image".

Open the properties of that file, and make sure that the file is named "filename.iso" (has the .iso extension), not "filename.iso.some-other-extension". 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
19 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Are you trying to make a physical CD/DVD drive on your host available to the guest, or make an ISO file that's on your host available to the guest via the virtual CD/DVD drive.

If it's the latter, did you try to click on the "Use ISO Image file" radio button in the dialog you posted, then use the "Browse" button to locate the desired ISO?

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
PenguinBelly
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi.  Thank you for the reply.  I am trying to mount ISO files in the guest OS.  Right now I am unable to do so in the VM.  I am not sure whether virtual CD-ROM is required for that functionality, but since neither is working I am assuming they are related.  (i.e. inability to boot with a virtual CD-ROM and inability to mount ISO files in the guest OS)

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

He was asking the question, because in all of your screenshots it shows you selected to use a physical optical drive, instead of using an ISO image file.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I don't believe the two issues are related.

If you want your ISO to be accessed in the guest (VM) via the virtual CD/DVD drive, you must use the Workstation GUI to configure the connection of the virtual CD/DVD drive as "Use ISO Image File", and then specify the location of the ISO file on the host. The device can then be accessed by the VM (yes, even booting from it if you've got a bootable ISO).

Leaving the device configured as "Use Physical Drive" and set to Auto Detect will give you the error message you're seeing if your host machine does not have a CD/DVD drive.

I just ran an experiment with a Windows 11 VM that has no CD/DVD drive configured at all. An ISO file in the VM has the option to Mount it when I'm looking at its enclosing folder in Windows Explorer.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
PenguinBelly
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, the first method you identified is the only way I can use an ISO file in the VM at the moment. That is also a little weird because VMWare complains that I cannot boot with a CD-ROM, yet once the VM is booted I do see a DVD drive in a VM and I can mount an ISO outside the VM via settings.  But as of now the OS is not able to mount ISO.   Do you think it is a Windows problem?

Because otherwise as you can see from the 3rd picture, I do not get the "Mount" option when I right-click on an ISO file in the VM.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

RDPetruska_0-1678220060534.png

This is what your settings should look like... The CDROM device set to Connect at power on, option selected to Use ISO image file, and a (bootable) ISO image selected.  This will present the contents of that ISO to the virtual machine's emulated optical drive... and if it's a bootable one, will allow you to boot the VM from the CD.

0 Kudos
PenguinBelly
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, that is the method I was referring to above.  But what I want to see is this:

ISO Mount.png

But as you can see in the 3rd picture in my original post, the VM at issue does not give the option to mount an ISO file.  That is the problem that I try to resolve.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Why are you trying to copy the ISO into the guest and mount it inside there?

And, your first 2 screenshots STILL show your VM settings attempting to use a physical CD-ROM drive instead of an ISO image.

0 Kudos
PenguinBelly
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cannot mount a CD-ROM or ISO in a VM

Having both issues.  Mounting ISO in Windows is done variety of reasons.  Some installers come in an ISO format, and I have old music and video collections that are stored in ISO format as well, and not being able to mount them in the OS is a huge inconvenience.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Just wondering why you are insisting on taking extra steps.  No reason to copy the iso file into the guest...  just attach it to the VM's CD-ROM device, using the setting in the screenshot I showed.  Even if not bootable, it will still appear inside the guest as the contents of the original CD-ROM.  Just browse to the CD-ROM drive, and run the setup, or copy files, or whatnot.

0 Kudos
PenguinBelly
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

By the way the issue is with this specific VM.  On a different VM I just created (same host) I do see the "Mount" context menu.   So I'd think something happened to that VM config.

0 Kudos
PenguinBelly
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I want to avoid taking extra steps of having to mount ISO files in the settings.  I think I am not explaining myself clearly. 

I simply want to be able to mount ISO files in the guest, which I am able to do in other guests on the same host.  It is this specific VM that I am having trouble with ISO files.   Please disregard Memtest or Kaspersky, and replace it with "FamilyGuyTheMovie.iso." if those are what is causing confusion.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Unless you have some kind of virtual drive device/software installed INSIDE the guest, then there won't BE any mount menu option.

I guess I'm completely confused as to why you think it's extra steps when it would be less...  unless for whatever reason, you already HAVE the iso images in the VM... and if so, how did you get them in there in the first place?

0 Kudos
PenguinBelly
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The screenshot I posted above at 3:25 PM is taken on a different guest.  I do not know how to use an ISO file without mounting it in the OS.   Can you kindly give me a pointer?

For example, if I download a Microsoft Office installer ISO, how do I install it without mounting it or extracting the files after mounting it in the OS?  (other than decompressing it via another software)

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

@PenguinBelly wrote:

The screenshot I posted above at 3:25 PM is taken on a different guest.  I do not know how to use an ISO file without mounting it in the OS.   Can you kindly give me a pointer?

Both Technogeezer and I already DID.  In the VM settings (or just right-click the CD-ROM icon in the Workstation status bar and select "settings", if the VM is running already), select the radio button to "Use ISO image file".  Click the Browse button to select the file on your host.  Click the menu to Connect, or the checkbox in the settings window.  Click your mouse back into the guest, navigate/browse to the guest's CD-ROM drive (drive D or E in Windows, or /mnt/cdrom in Linux, etc) and open that folder.  Voila!

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The functionality to mount an ISO file as a file system is built into Windows and has no dependency on Fusion.

I've noticed that your screen shot at the beginning of this thread is saying the file type of your ISO file is "Windows.isoFile" file. It should say "Disk Image".

Open the properties of that file, and make sure that the file is named "filename.iso" (has the .iso extension), not "filename.iso.some-other-extension". 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
PenguinBelly
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, I modified my original post because it is clear that I did not do a good job.  So in your view this was not caused by VMWare, and is a Windows problem?

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Well, if you are attempting to perform any action *inside* a virtual machine, then that VM must have some kind of software installed in it to be able to perform such action.  Realize that, for the most part, the OS running inside a virtual machine has no idea that it is running inside a virtual machine, or that there is another outside world.

0 Kudos
PenguinBelly
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was able to fix the problem by going into the Property of an ISO file, and setting the default app to "Windows Explorer."  For whatever reason the default app was not selected.  I cannot believe that I did not think of that but I also do not know how that happened.

Thank you everyone for patiently helping me.

0 Kudos