VMware Communities
psi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cannot see shared folders in WIn 8.1 guest.

I am using VMware Workstation 10.0.1 and I have Win 8.1 as my host operating system.

When I set up a Win 7 VM, shared folders work as expected, but with a Win 8.1 VM I cannot find the shared folders in Explorer.  I have also tried accessing them via \\vmware-host and \\.host with no success.

How can I see shared folders in a Win 81 guest VM?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi Psi,

I had a similar problem. Worked fine on Windows 8.0, but after upgrading that VM to Windows 8.1, the shared folder functionality stopped working. Only after reinstalling VMware Tools it worked again.

Please note that a "repair install" on VMware Tools does not fix this, only a complete uninstall/reboot/install/reboot sequence did this functionality come back to life for me.

Hope this helps,

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi Psi,

I had a similar problem. Worked fine on Windows 8.0, but after upgrading that VM to Windows 8.1, the shared folder functionality stopped working. Only after reinstalling VMware Tools it worked again.

Please note that a "repair install" on VMware Tools does not fix this, only a complete uninstall/reboot/install/reboot sequence did this functionality come back to life for me.

Hope this helps,

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
psi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you Wil, that worked!

I had tried a reinstall, but that changed nothing.  A full uninstall, reboot, install, reboot fixed the problem.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos