VMware Communities
ru2
Contributor
Contributor

Connecting to server behind a firewall

I'm pretty stuck with this one... I am trying to use the File | Connect to Server command and am successful when using a computer behind the same firewall (and using the local IP address), but unsucessful when I try to connect when using a computer outside of the firewall (and using a remote IP address).

The first thing I checked was to make sure the correct ports are allowed through. I allowed through the VMware port and port 902 (the VMware Authorization Service) by setting up rules on both the physical machine and the firewall.

This is interesting too - when disabling the firewall for a few minutes I was still unable to connect using the remote IP address.

Is there some secret registry value I need to change or some other port I'm not aware of that I need to allow? Has anyone else had a similar issue and resolved it? I'm able to RDP using the remote IP address, so this is why I'm really confused.

Thanks to anyone who has an idea.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
rajeshkongu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Wheather you are trying to connect esx,esxi server from remote or you  trying to connect vms.

Regards,

karthick

0 Kudos
ru2
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry - I should have said. I am using VMware Workstation 8, using it as a server. I'm trying to connect from a remote computer to the computer hosting (server). When I use the server's local IP address, it works perfectly, but if I try to use the one that comes out of the firewall, it does not work.

0 Kudos
ru2
Contributor
Contributor

Hi All,

I resolved my own problem. It turns out it had nothing to do with VMware Workstation 8 but rather the rule set up on the firewall. Nice!

Thanks!

0 Kudos