VMware Communities
Dmarangoni
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Creating a Virtual Machine Server connected to the outside world

I currently have a server running on a fedora 12 VM Workstation virtual machine. I'd like to access the server from outside of the virtual machine but for some reason not even the host computer will access the virtual server. Is there any way to route the network adapters so that when someone outside the VM workstation attempts to access the VM server, they can just go straight to the server instead of getting blocked by the network adapters?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
allquixotic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Set up bridged networking and point it at your internet-facing ethernet adapter. if you have a router with NAT (like 99.9% of desktop setups do) you will need to forward individual ports if you want it to be exposed to the public internet; if you are satisfied with exposing it only within your LAN, you don't have to forward ports.

By using bridged networking, the VM has its own IP, whether it's on the public internet (in the case of no NAT) or on your LAN (in the case of NAT). The scope of the IP it's assigned is exactly the same as the one assigned to the host computer -- so if the host has a public internet IP, you will need to provision one, or have one assigned via a DHCP server, for your VM as well. OTOH, if your host is behind a NAT, it probably has a DHCP server that will provision an IP in the range of 192.168.x.x for your VM, automatically.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
allquixotic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Set up bridged networking and point it at your internet-facing ethernet adapter. if you have a router with NAT (like 99.9% of desktop setups do) you will need to forward individual ports if you want it to be exposed to the public internet; if you are satisfied with exposing it only within your LAN, you don't have to forward ports.

By using bridged networking, the VM has its own IP, whether it's on the public internet (in the case of no NAT) or on your LAN (in the case of NAT). The scope of the IP it's assigned is exactly the same as the one assigned to the host computer -- so if the host has a public internet IP, you will need to provision one, or have one assigned via a DHCP server, for your VM as well. OTOH, if your host is behind a NAT, it probably has a DHCP server that will provision an IP in the range of 192.168.x.x for your VM, automatically.

0 Kudos
Dmarangoni
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Silly me, I had a firewall up Smiley Happy But that worked fine once I took it down, thank you!

0 Kudos