VMware Communities
onthefritz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Disk I/O and network issues

On one of my workstation systems is having a ton of disk I/O issues. When the VM is powered on, the disk I/O jumps about to the max and stays there.

It slows down the host and guest to the point where they are not usable. Also the network on the guest will not access the network. It pulls DHCP, but nothing after that. That could be a port security issue as well though.

Does anyone have an idea on why this is happening?

Thanks

Fritz

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
magic-man
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

It slows down the host and guest to the point where they are not usable. Also the network on the guest will not access the network. It pulls DHCP, but nothing after that. That could be a port security issue as well though.

As for the port security issue, mine was fixed in my XP and Win 2k3 host and VMs by doing the following in the host AND guest:

Go into windows Explorer. Select Tools, then folder options. Click the view tab. Scroll down to the bottom and you should see something called 'use simple file sharing (recommended)'. Uncheck that box. Click OK (or apply) and then do it to the VM. It cleared up a lot of things for me, including some sharing issues. You might also let windows firewall manage that network card in the host as well.

Smiley Happy Bill

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Low RAM on the host?

0 Kudos
onthefritz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Nope, 3G of RAM. 2.6Ghz dual core proccessor. 150G HD (IDE..but other of the same model are working fine.)

Fritz

0 Kudos
onthefritz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I still can't find the issue here. It also seems that the drivers on the host are not fully loaded. When trying to access a USB port (Smart Card reader) it is asking to load a driver for new hardware "VMware USB Device."

Does anyone know where I could get the drivers to reinstall on the host system?

Fritz

0 Kudos
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Did you install VMware Tools in your guest?

0 Kudos
magic-man
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I still can't find the issue here. It also seems that the drivers on the host are not fully loaded. When trying to access a USB port (Smart Card reader) it is asking to load a driver for new hardware "VMware USB Device."

Does anyone know where I could get the drivers to reinstall on the host system?

Fritz

The driver on a windows system (default install) is located in \program files\VMWare\VMWare Workstation. There is also another copy in \Windows\system32\drivers. (or Winnt for win2k) if you have installed a usb device in the guest before. Simply point the installer to one of those locations and click OK and it will load the driver.

Note: If you move a USB device to another port, it will load the driver for that port on the host and may prompt for the driver again.

Smiley Happy Bill

magic-man
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

On one of my workstation systems is having a ton of disk I/O issues. When the VM is powered on, the disk I/O jumps about to the max and stays there.

It slows down the host and guest to the point where they are not usable.

Try this: BEFORE you launch VMWare, bring up task manager and stop the process vmauthd.exe. Try VMWare now. If this fixes your IO issue, then in the HOST disable the VMAUTHD service.

This issue seems to affect very few people (including me), and I am happy to say is fixed in 6.5 beta. SO... if you upgrade later to 6.5, (or try 6.5 now (hint-hint)) you can turn vmauthd back on if it was the issue.

Smiley Happy Bill

magic-man
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

As for the port security issue, mine was fixed in my XP and Win 2k3 host and VMs by doing the following in the host AND guest:

Go into windows Explorer. Select Tools, then folder options. Click the view tab. Scroll down to the bottom and you should see something called 'use simple file sharing (recommended)'. Uncheck that box. Click OK (or apply) and then do it to the VM. It cleared up a lot of things for me, including some sharing issues. You might also let windows firewall manage that network card in the host as well.

Smiley Happy Bill

0 Kudos
onthefritz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I wish I could upgrade. This issue is on a DoD system. So I can't go to a Beta. But I will try the vmauthd service fix and let you know how it goes.

Fritz

0 Kudos
onthefritz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well, it turned out to be an issue with one of the snapshots. (sorry, didn't mention before that there was one snapshot.) After deleting the snapshot and creating another the I/O issue went away. The network issue was the port security. The person who deployed the VM didn't select copy when it prompted him so the MAC address was the same as another on the same switch. After fixing that, there were no more issues.

Fritz

0 Kudos