VMware Communities
schiffer
Contributor
Contributor

Error during Backup Exec process in VMWare Workstation 6

I've successfully installed Netware 6.5 as the guest OS on a Win XP (host OS) workstation. I've also successfully installed Backup Exec (though I have to manually change the ETC/hosts file IP address for the "server" each time, a minor thing).

When I try to run an inventory, catalog, or restore process from Backup Exec to the external DDS4 drive I have installed on the workstation, and in VMWare under general SCSI Tape0, I get the following:

VMware Workstation unrecoverable error: (vmx)

NOT_IMPLEMENTED C:/ob/bora-45731/bora/devices/scsi/scsiPassthruWin32.c:683

A log file is available in "F:\NetwareOS\vmware.log". A core file is available in "C:\Documents and Settings\AW\Application Data\VMware\vmware-vmx-2136.dmp". Please request support and include the contents of the log file and core file.

To collect files to submit to VMware support, run "vm-support.vbs".

We will respond on the basis of your support entitlement.

I'm sure this has something to do with my SCSI configuration, but I'm new to all this virtualization and could use a hand. Thanks in advance for any help!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
jgreenback
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm experiencing this exact same issue.

Host OS = W2k3 Svr

Guest OS = W2k3 Svr on an IDE vmdk

Any insight on this issue would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thx

0 Kudos
jgreenback
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

OK, problem solved for me.

If anyone has this issue, uninstall and re-install MS Update KB920213. I'm not sure why this fixed my scsipassthru issue but it did.

This would apply to Host OS's; Win200, WinXP and Win2k3.

Hope this helps someone here.

0 Kudos
schiffer
Contributor
Contributor

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling that Microsoft update, but I'm still getting the same error. Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
jgreenback
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I apologize,

Doing that only fixed NTBackup accessing the scsi tape drive. I spoke too soon. Just after posting this, I installed ArcServe onto the VM and what do you know. STILL BROKEN! So after some tinkering, I've come to the conclusion that somewhere in SP1 for W2k3, an update or hotfix screws up VMWare scsipassthru.

I now have a clean, non-updated, w2k3 server with ArcServe installed and working without any issues (NOT A VIABLE SOLUTION). BUT, after I install SP1 the issue rears it's ugly head. So I just uninstalled SP1 and it works again.

My only, SECURE, solution was to set ArcServer to backup to a file and keep my host os up to date.

I think that server 2000 SP4 may be ok but I'm not sure and I don't feel like experimenting.

Sorry schiffer, but that's the best I can do with the little bit of time that I have. Maybe some VmWare guru or employee will take this information and work on resolving the issue for us. Until then, workarounds will have to do.

jason

0 Kudos
timpaxton
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Jason.

I've got a similar issue - see the thread at http://communities.vmware.com/message/1136297?tstart=0

Can you please let me know which OS you took SP1 off to get the SCSI passthru to work? Was it the host or guest OS?

Cheers,

Tim Paxton

0 Kudos