VMware Communities
RadiantB
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation 6.5 unresponsive switching tabs

This has been happening all week, especially after upgrading to 6.5.2-156735 (although it happened everyonce in a while before upgrading). I will have about 4 tabs open, running only three (one 2003 Standard, one XP Pro, and one 98). All three running, using a total of about 2 gig. My machine has 4 gigs (dual core 2.5ghz, windows xp sp2, on a corporate domain) and about 300+ gigs of space free. Switching between tabs takes about 15 seconds. The tab/screen will display and be active, but the mouse unresponsive (as if workstation has completely locked up). After 15 seconds, finally I can use the VM and things are back to normal. This doesnt only happen with 4 tabs open. I can have 2, 3, 10+, doesnt matter. The IT department is unsure of why it is doing this as well. None of the VMware logs are helpful.

Attached is a quick video of me switching tabs (or at least trying to).

Message was edited by: RadiantB

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Brian_Andersen
Contributor
Contributor

I too am experiencing this after upgrading to 6.5.2-156735 with only 2 tabs open. Very annoying. I hope someone can work out a fix.

Brian

EDIT: I turned off ALL of my VMs and I'm still experiencing the delay switching tabs. How did this get missed?

0 Kudos
RadiantB
Contributor
Contributor

Oh yea - even with the VMs off, there is a delay.

If I close the management window (whatever its called) and let the VMs run in the background, but then bring them back up from the system tray, one by one, that at least lets me switch from VM to VM without a delay. But still - with multiple tabs... it just doesnt work.

0 Kudos
Brian_Andersen
Contributor
Contributor

I gave up and switched back to 6.5.1. The last straw, for me, was discovering that not only was there a delay switching tabs, there was the same delay every time you clicked on the VM menu.

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

What AntiVirus are you running on your Host? Any 3rd party firewall or other "security" products installed?

0 Kudos
Brian_Andersen
Contributor
Contributor

Kaspersky 8.0.0.506

Vista's firewall

No other "security" products.

0 Kudos
RadiantB
Contributor
Contributor

Our IT department installs Trend Micro Officescan 8.0, no software firewall.

0 Kudos